Qnap TVS-h1688X SSD Issues

tpesin

Cadet
Hi, installed today on my Qnap TVS-h1688X TrueNAS Core and Scale. Both times it works just fine out of the box. NVM Drives and HDD works perfectly. But huge issues with the SSDs drives that are installed in the 2.5 inch drive bays. They show up - but getting only a lot of error messages like cam status ata drdy err 41 on all 4 drives on TrueNAS Core. So I tried to use the Scale edition - but now have the same issues.

Different error messages:
Enter[ 481.485228] ata4: SATA link up 6.0 Gbps (Status 133 SControl 300)
401,435556) ata4.00: supports DRM functions and may not be fully accessible
ata4.00: ATA-11: Samsung SSD 870 EVD 4TB, SVT®3B6Q, max UDMA/133

7814837168 sectors, mult1 1: LBA48 NG (depth 32) , AA

ata4.00: Features: Trust Dev-Sleep NcQ-sndrcv

supports DRM functions and may not be fully accessible configured for UDMA/133

scs) 3:0:0:0: Direct-Access

ATA

Samsung SSD 870

3B6Q PQ: 0 ANSI: 5

Basically they are also not working. When trying to create a pool in the SSDs it just doesnt finish the JOB. They are brand new and worked before on the QNAP without any issues.

Does any one have any idea? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0470.jpeg
    IMG_0470.jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 42

PhilD13

Patron
More questions than answers.
What were they used for on the QNAP? Were they encrypted drives on QNAP machine? The QNAP firmware or an QNAP app may have encrypted them or a folder on them or applied some type of license to them.

QNAP also uses mdadm as it's software raid system which will cause issues with formatting and reuse of the drives in another system if the raid superblock is not first removed but I have never seen that throw DRM errors. The underlying linux system of Truenas will see the mdadm superblock and spin up a new raid with the info read from the drive(s). Truenas then won't see the drive(s) as they are part of a different raid system.

I suggest booting to a linux live distro to access and then wipe the superblock from the drives using mdadm, wipefs, or dd and trying to sort out the issue first then go back to Truenas.