qBittorrent via jail & openvpn stalled whenever i go back to it after a while, but fine while im using it?

jackdinn

Contributor
Im far from a guru, iv only just built and got my Truenas system up and running.

I have really struggled over getting qBittorrent via an openVPN in a jail to work properly. I was really pleased with myself, but it has a snag.

qBittorrent works great, i can leave it for several hours, and it'll be fine, but if i leave it and come back after a couple of days it always seems to be blocked from connecting. All torrents that i add will stall. There is definitely an internet connection to the jail, and it has the correct WAN IP for the VPN, so that's all still working.

However, i have found that if i go to the qBittorrent settings and switch the network interface to something else (anything at all) and then save, then switch it back to my VPN interface tun0 & save again, then it all springs to life again & the data and peers start flooding in, why!

I don't have a clue. I followed this and this to get it working.

I did try Deluge, but i could not get the vpn to work.

Ideally if someone could tell me how to fix qBittorrent that would be ideal as it takes me days to figure out these things (if i can at all), so switching to another torrent client is my last case scenario.

Last edited:
Who is your VPN provider? If they offer Wireguard, I suggest you use that instead of OpenVPN. It's faster, lightweight, and is better suited for peer-to-peer downloads, such as torrenting.

jackdinn

Contributor
I have access to a free openVPN (well it free with something else i pay for so why pay for another).

I'd much rather fix what should work.

Apparently, they were going to offer Wireguard, but no progress since November 2020?

The ritual you're doing (switching interfaces in qBittorrent back and forth) may in fact force it to re-connect. Their OpenVPN servers might not be designed to handle 24/7 torrenting outside of their own bittorrent/cloud offerings. Hence, why it requires a "go-stop-go" gesture occasionally.

I would contact them to make sure it's not on their end. They might have additional instructions for use in 24/7 torrenting. (Possibly requiring changing an option in their OpenVPN config files.)

jackdinn

Contributor
hmm, i prob shall take a look at wireguard & see what it costs. Its just that i use kodi (this is what i use Premiumize for) everyday, but torrenting i very rarely do. I do leave qBit running on the server 24/7 but nothing is seeding or dl'ing, but i suppose it still counts as being connected.
So getting a vpn service just for a once a month (if that) thing is meh.

I just wanted to see if i "could" get it working and since i had access to a server & a vpn that was doing nothing, sooo well, yea.

I suppose i could shut down the jail when iv finished using it.