Pulled the trigger today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Recently sold a shootin iron to fund my new freeNAS server build. Thanks to the recommendations by all the great members here I got all this stuff coming and it should be here by the end of the week. Can't wait to get started on the build.

Whitetail rifle season starts Saturday and I have all next week off for hunting so I'll have to work the build and burn in testing between sessions of stalking Bambi.

Here's what's coming:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
It was. Problem is that it had grown in value over the past 20 years to the point that I was reluctant to shoot it any more.

I'm the type of person that if I have something I want to use it and enjoy it and I wasn't any more so it was time for it to go.

Dan Wesson 445 Supermag

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Make absolutely sure you run wdidle on those green drives. You'll be sorry if you don't.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Make absolutely sure you run wdidle on those green drives. You'll be sorry if you don't.

I plan on it, thanks.

Oh, that USB 3 thing may be more trouble than it's worth. https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/3273

I've also found it more trouble-free to transfer data through CIFS/ whatever protocol you use than through USB. Robocopy is your friend.

Heh, that's going in the desktop not the freenas build. It was a free gift that newegg threw in with the order :)

I've had a test build up and running for a couple months now and CIFS is what I use.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
What is the SSD for? The boot/OS drive? Over a USB Key?

Yes, OS drive. Not really necessary but a nice long term solution. All my usb drives are old and I wanted the utmost in reliability once it's up and running.

Status
Not open for further replies.