BUILD About to Take the Plunge

Status
Not open for further replies.

dj_jazzn

Dabbler
So I'm finally about to pull the trigger on my first FreeNAS build, just looking for some community feedback on the hardware. I will be basically following hardware recommendations outlined by cyberjock.

The Build :
Chassis: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
Mother Board: Supermicro X10SL7-F-O
CPU: Intel Xenon E3-1230v3
(however I'm slightly tempted by the E3-1231 v3, thoughts anyone? Comparison here)​
RAM: 4 dimms @ 32 GB Total - Crucial CT2KIT102472BD160B (might as well go all in with the RAM)
PSU: CORSAIR RM Series RM450 450W ATX12V
Boot Device: Verbatim 4GB USB Drive Model 97462
connected to MB via StarTech USBMBADAPT2 2 Port USB Header Adapter​
HDD: 2X WD Red WD40EFRX 4TB (+ 4 additional drives in the near future).​

I plan to add more drives while I test and configure the system. The goal is to acquire 6 drives total and configure as RAIDZ2). Also, before I commit any critical data to the system, I will be acquiring a UPS and a backup solution.

I have been contemplating a FreeNAS build for a long time. I think I am ready now, assuming I have not committed any grievous errors in this build. How does this system look? Have I missed anything?

Any comments are much appreciated.

Thanks

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'd use a Seasonic G-450 instead of the Corsair, but everything else looks ok.

Do note that you'll probably want 8GB, or maybe even 16GB boot devices. 4GB is rather tight.

CPU choice boils down to "do you want the extra 100MHz", assuming compatible pricing.

dj_jazzn

Dabbler
Thanks Eric, I will certainly look into your recommendations.

The E3-1231 v3 is pretty much the same price as the E3-1230v3 on newegg.ca ($5 less). I just wasn't sure if the X10SL7-F motherboard BIOS would be ready to support the newer CPU.

I noticed you are using the Icy Docks. I was considering these as a future upgrade. However I would need get a case with at least 4 X 5.25" bays minimum. What is your experience with these docks? No issues with air flow, 80mm fan noise or concerns with increasing the probability of equipment failure?

Last edited:

marbus90

Guru
You can't move from a mirror to a raidz2 unless you do a backup and restore.

Then you'll only have 6 SATA disks, for which the X10SL7-F is overkill. X10SLL-F, X10SLL+-F, X10SLM-F or X10SLM+-F are better choices, together with a Fractal Define Mini. The HDD trays are easy serviceable from the side, the HDDs are mounted on rubber grommets and the two 120mm fans cool them sufficiently if placed in the front.

JohnK

Patron
Following Cyberjock's guide is a great starting point, but only you will know what you are going to use your FreeNAS for.

You might find a Pentium processor or even an i3 being sufficient. I have ran all three at some time and find for my day to day use that the Pentium is just fine.

I would also recommend Fractal's Arc range because of better air flow and a Seasonic 360 Gold PSU (SSR-360GP), (it comes with only 4 SATA power so you need to add a splitter)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Thanks Eric, I will certainly look into your recommendations.

The E3-1231 v3 is pretty much the same price as the E3-1230v3 on newegg.ca ($5 less). I just wasn't sure if the X10SL7-F motherboard BIOS would be ready to support the newer CPU.

Most boards these days already have the 2.0 BIOS. If it doesn't and you have a Haswell Refresh CPU, you can try haggling with Supermicro support for a BIOS flash key for the IPMI.

I noticed you are using the Icy Docks. I was considering these as a future upgrade. However I would need get a case with at least 4 X 5.25" bays minimum. What is your experience with these docks? No issues with air flow, 80mm fan noise or concerns with increasing the probability of equipment failure?

There are two main questions: Cases and the Hot Swap bays themselves.

You're really limited when it comes to case selection. The only modern chassis that are suitable are the Zalman MS800, Sharkoon T9 and CM Storm Trooper, plus a couple of insanely huge (and even more insanely expensive) Lian-Li Chassis, which can also take proprietary cages and backplanes to make hot swap bays.

At least in my case (no pun intended), I had a hard time getting the cages in place. The tolerances weren't right on the chassis and/or bay and not all screw holes lined up.

As for the bays themselves, they're a pleasant surprise. No heat issues (though summer was rather cold around here), noise is acceptable, fans are decent quality (not Delta or San Ace, but they do the job - and they're easy to replace) and the whole thing is solid.

I'm not worried about failures. The fans use ball bearings, the thing supposedly has a warning buzzer and SMART would notify me within 30 minutes if something is really wrong.

dj_jazzn

Dabbler
You can't move from a mirror to a raidz2 unless you do a backup and restore.

Then you'll only have 6 SATA disks, for which the X10SL7-F is overkill. X10SLL-F, X10SLL+-F, X10SLM-F or X10SLM+-F are better choices, together with a Fractal Define Mini. The HDD trays are easy serviceable from the side, the HDDs are mounted on rubber grommets and the two 120mm fans cool them sufficiently if placed in the front.

So I placed the order yesterday evening and ended up ordering the X10SL7-F. It was only $40 more at newegg(ca) compared to the options you suggested. Unless there is technical reason for not choosing X10SL7-F, I'm willing to pay the difference. I may not need the additional SATA connections now, but perhaps in the future. I can return any item for what ever reason within 30 days. If there is a compelling reason to switch to the other motherboard I would be glad to hear them.

I also went with the E3-1231 v3 instead of the E3-1230v3.
Updated the boot device to a SanDisk Cruzer Fit 16GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive based on Ericloewe recommendation above.
Held back on the PSU & Case purchase until I think about it a bit (but not tool long, I want to start building asap). also based on comments above (Ericloewe and JohnK)

I'm really excited:D and a bit apprehensive:eek: about this project. I definitely appreciate all the support.

Last edited:

dj_jazzn

Dabbler
You're really limited when it comes to case selection. The only modern chassis that are suitable are the Zalman MS800, Sharkoon T9 and CM Storm Trooper, plus a couple of insanely huge (and even more insanely expensive) Lian-Li Chassis, which can also take proprietary cages and backplanes to make hot swap bays.

Good point, Definitely realizing this limitation while shopping around. I also came across a similar selection limitations while researching small (ITX) form factor builds. I will most likely go with a case from Fractal designs after all. But those swap bays sure do look like a nice add-on.

titan_rw

Guru
So I placed the order yesterday evening and ended up ordering the X10SL7-F. It was only $40 more at newegg(ca) compared to the options you suggested. Unless there is technical reason for not choosing X10SL7-F, I'm willing to pay the difference. I may not need the additional SATA connections now, but perhaps in the future. I can return any item for what ever reason within 30 days. If there is a compelling reason to switch to the other motherboard I would be glad to hear them.

That will do fine. You'll have extra ports for when / if you need them in the future. I honestly wouldn't buy anything but the SL7 with the extra SAS controller. If it's only $40 more, it's nice to have that onboard than having to go for a $100+ add in board later.

Fraoch

Patron

There's also the Phanteks Enthoo Pro I'm using, which is enormous (so big that my wife has banned it from her space - I'm looking to replace it with a Fractal Design Define Mini). I liked the huge 200 mm fan but the open top lets out all the noise.

At least in my case (no pun intended), I had a hard time getting the cages in place. The tolerances weren't right on the chassis and/or bay and not all screw holes lined up.

I had a few screws on one side not line up. Unfortunately I didn't realize how bad the misalignment was at first and ended up shearing the head off a screw!

Status
Not open for further replies.