PS3 and MKV

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaphann

Cadet
Hi I am having an issue streaming MKV to my PS3 via MiniDLNA. Now the PS3 can see and play movies in my media directory but for any MKV file it says "Unsupported Data". I can see and play MKV files though a computer via VLC.

I am assuming my problem is that the PS3 cannot decode MKV files, so is there a way for FreeNAS to transcode MKV?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Well the unfortunate answer is MiniDLNA does not transcode and it is the only DLNA plugin for FreeNAS at this point in time.

You could add some software via the jail plugin but that is a nightmare and I don't know anyone who has gotten it to work. You also need a speedy CPU to perform the transcoding.

I see you have two fairly easy options: 1) Play the MKV files through a networked BluRay player (make sure it supports MKV, most do), or 2) install something like PS3Media Server or TVersity on a windows PC on your network and serve up your movies that way, neither one is my favorite software which is why I use option 1, the BluRay player that supports MKV. The third thing you could do is convert your MKV files into VOB files and play those through the PS3 but that takes a lot of time converting and is likely not what you want at all. I do have a fourth option, buy a TV that accepts MKV files via a wired network connection. I have that too but the picture quality is not as good as the BluRay Player.

cubix

Before I retired my ps3 as a media player, I would convert mkv's to m2ts files. Conversion didn't take long and would play fine on the ps3.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I agree, m2ts files work great too. There are a number of formats the PS3 does support. All you nee to do is find a format you like and convert to it. Making it a batch process would ease you pain if you have a really large number of files to convert. It would be nice if Sony came out with an update to support MKV files, not sure why they haven't since it's just software.

di0g0s

Cadet
Have you considered, back then, or today, jailbreaking the PS3, link?
I was trying to, but my PS3 is not compatible. I am just hoping that some day (with remote chances) mine will be.
Yeah, just because OFW it is not compatible with .MKV, I found out that playing this kind of file was possible with CFW on PS3. I also have my router setup with miniDLNA, OpenWRT and external storage for .MKV .torrent files downloaded via rTorrent. @joeschmuck @xaphann @cubix

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.