ps ax | grep RSYNC and .~tmp~ question

Wozza J

Dabbler
Hi gang.

I have just setup another FreeNAS box with 11.2 running on it and I want to RSYNC from my original 11.1 NAS to the new one. I know I have everything regarding RSYNC tasks and modules setup correctly between them, but when I want to check if the RSYNC job is still running, I have a bit of confusion with the command: ps ax | grep RSYNC.
Can this command be run from anywhere in the shell? I ask as I have run the command after starting an Rsync task on the NAS pushing the data and it shows no active job as shown here:

root@Backup-NAS[/data]# ps ax | grep RSYNC
5533 0 S+ 0:00.00 grep RSYNC

Yet, if I repeatedly refresh the target NAS's folder properties (in Windows) I can see the size of the data growing, albeit that there seems to be a .~tmp~ folder at the root of each folder level where the files are being created )This is a first time sync job so do the files stay in this temp folder until the sync is complete?

Thanks all,
Woz.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Case sensitivity? try it in lower case instead of upper.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Another thing to understand is the way rsync runs, by default, you don't see the data until the job is completed. Space is used on disk, but it is purposely hiding the data until the job is done. Depending on your network speed, and the amount of data, this could take a long time. Just be patient. The last big rsync I did took over 30 days to finish.

Wozza J

Dabbler
Case sensitivity? try it in lower case instead of upper.

Thanks sretalla, I think you're right.

I ran the command again with it in lowercase and got the following return:
ps ax | grep rsync
2635 - Is 0:00.00 /usr/local/bin/rsync --daemon --config /usr/local/etc/r
6710 - I 0:00.00 logger -t rsync
6711 - R 593:59.62 /usr/local/bin/rsync -r -t -z --delay-updates /mnt/data
35391 0 S+ 0:00.00 grep rsync

Would I be right in assuming that the id 6711 is the active rsync job and that the 593:59.62 is the length of time it has been running?

Thanks,
Woz.

Wozza J

Dabbler
Another thing to understand is the way rsync runs, by default, you don't see the data until the job is completed. Space is used on disk, but it is purposely hiding the data until the job is done. Depending on your network speed, and the amount of data, this could take a long time. Just be patient. The last big rsync I did took over 30 days to finish.

Hi Chris.

Thanks, I was feeling sure that was how it worked and that the data is stored in those .~tmp~ folders until the job had finished, but just want to be sure as it seems to be taking forever to just do 100GB. Hopefully not 30 days - you have the patience of a saint!

Woz.

sretalla