Proposed Build Questions

DirtyDel

Cadet
Good day. I'm leaving Freenas behind and upgrading to TrueNas. I currently have two (2) 6tb Ironwolf Hdd's in a pool for plex media server. I also have a 500gb Teamforce SSD that I plan to use for a virtual machine. Here is the proposed layout, please advise if this is correct/ possible:

Install TrueNas on 500gb SSD. Partition 468gb for Windows Virtual Machine (is this possible after TrueNas has been installed?)

Import the 12TB pool for Plex plugin.

I spent ours looking up material for this and haven't found this type of set up. Is it possible to use the SSD along side the HDD pool?

Redcoat

MVP
Good day. I'm leaving Freenas behind and upgrading to TrueNas. I currently have two (2) 6tb Ironwolf Hdd's in a pool for plex media server. I also have a 500gb Teamforce SSD that I plan to use for a virtual machine. Here is the proposed layout, please advise if this is correct/ possible:

Install TrueNas on 500gb SSD. Partition 468gb for Windows Virtual Machine (is this possible after TrueNas has been installed?)

Import the 12TB pool for Plex plugin.

I spent ours looking up material for this and haven't found this type of set up. Is it possible to use the SSD along side the HDD pool?

Welcome to the forums.

This post should get you started https://www.truenas.com/community/t...-of-larger-ssds-for-boot-pool-and-data.81409/
(It's not just for "a pair of ...").

DirtyDel

Cadet
Welcome to the forums.

This post should get you started https://www.truenas.com/community/t...-of-larger-ssds-for-boot-pool-and-data.81409/
(It's not just for "a pair of ...").
I read that prior to posting. I'll go over it again to make sure I'm not missing anything. It may be more simple for me to snag a 32gb m.2 for $20 and install that for the boot drive; however, I'm not fully aware of the updates in recent years. Is it even possible to run the 500gb ssd (as VM) in truenas along with the two 6tb hdds? I remember Freenas you could only use drives of the same kind.

pschatz100

Guru
I would definitely buy a small SSD for the boot drive. While it is technically possible to format an SSD with one partition for boot and another partition for some other purpose, the practice is not generally supported. For the cost of a small SSD these days, why add the complexity?

As for your other question, you can definitely create two pools: one with the disks (for storage) and another with the SSD that you could use for the VM. I have a very similar configuration and it works just fine.

From your description, it appears that you are striping the two disks to create one 12 Tb pool. If that is the case, then I would highly suggest you consider buying two more drives and configuring a RaidZ2 pool. With no redundancy, if you lose either disk then you lose all of your data.

Also, remember that you need a backup for your data.