Problems with SMB on FreeNAS and Ubuntu

ash77

Cadet
I'm having a couple of problems related to SMB on FreeNAS-11.2-U5.

I have a computer running Ubuntu 20.04 LTS accessing FreeNAS shares over SMB. /etc/fstab has the following:
//freenas1.blah.com/Pool /mnt/freenas1_pool1 cifs credentials=/home/klm/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,uid=klm 0 0

This broke a couple of days ago (presumably due to an upgrade) and "mount -a" started failing with the error (from dmesg):
[ 3517.805183] CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -2
[ 3517.812096] CIFS: Attempting to mount //freenas1.blah.com/Pool
[ 3517.812142] No dialect specified on mount. Default has changed to a more secure dialect, SMB2.1 or later (e.g. SMB3), from CIFS (SMB1). To use the less secure SMB1 dialect to access old servers which do not support SMB3 (or SMB2.1) specify vers=1.0 on mount.

I tried adding ,vers=1.0 through 3.0 to the configuration line in /etc/fstab with no success (from dmesg):
[ 3855.121121] CIFS: Attempting to mount //freenas1.blah.com/Pool
[ 3855.149189] CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -2

I plan to upgrade to TrueNAS soon and I was trying to get the system working again, so I tried enabling SMB1 support.
When I clicked save, I got an error message that the SMB service failed to start. Now the SMB service won't start (I've tried from the services list and the configuration section).

From a command line I tried "sudo smbstatus" and got the error:
Could not initialize messaging, not root?

So I'm trying to get Samba running again on FreeNAS, hopefully with an option that will allow the mount from linux to work.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Heracles

Wizard
You are running the old SMB version 1 from the 1950s. That version is not supported anymore by most devices, including your Ubuntu client who refuses to use that crappy and unsecure protocol. If you insist to remain on SMB, you will have to upgrade to SMB v2 or more. You can also move to NFS and free yourself from SMB.