problems with gmail email

Status
Not open for further replies.

sethgoldin

Dabbler
The router has a static IP address from the modem and is sending DHCP to all the other wired clients and wireless access points.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
That's really not helpful. I'm not versed in "basic networking," then. How would I find the appropriate address then?
You were already told how to find your networks gateway and DNS/name server.

Check the network settings on ANY dhcp client on the network....

You might want to take a few moments to learn how a typical network is laid out. When using a NETWORK Attached Storage server, it is beneficial to understand the basics of networking, or life will be miserable.

Yes it is a freenas problem, cause it hasn’t got a native DNS server
Why would FreeNAS need to have a native DNS server built in? FreeNAS is made for storing media and making it accessible to networked devices. It isn't intended to preform gateway/router duties.

gpsguy

Did you configure a static IP address for FreeNAS? If so, perhaps you configured it incorrectly.

Did FreeNAS get an address via DHCP when installed it? If not, perhaps you have an unsupported network card. Just because it might work in Windows, doesn't mean it'll work with FreeNAS.

Please supply detailed information about your server hardware. See the forum rules (in red at the top of the page), for a list of the information we need.

sethgoldin

Dabbler
You were already told how to find your networks gateway and DNS/name server.

Check the network settings on ANY dhcp client on the network....

You might want to take a few moments to learn how a typical network is laid out. When using a NETWORK Attached Storage server, it is beneficial to understand the basics of networking, or life will be miserable.

OK, I have the gateway and nameserver. Where should I input that?

Nick2253

Wizard

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
You know guys, a user like this one who has gotten this far without knowing basic networking isn't going to suddenly decide to pick it up now. It's like when I encounter a person with a Ph.D. in mathematics who has never programmed a computer---I know that the person had 10000 opportunities to learn how to program the computer on the way to the stage they are at, and for some reason, has not, on purpose. So I figure they have their reasons, and I leave them in peace about it (but, of course, tell them to find a new mentor, lol).

Had I been involved in the thread earlier, I would have simply told the user to go to the global configuration and put in 8.8.8.8 for his nameserver, and if it still didn't work, then we'd go ahead and troubleshoot the egress/gateway. The user just wants the problem fixed---if he wants to understand the fix, he'll come back with a follow-up question.

In the future I'd suggest sizing up your user, and giving a user that you can assess as "not networking savvy", a likely-to-work, one shot solution, or giving them a link to the relevant section of the documentation, or giving them words to google. We're not making any friends telling him that he's a jackass (in so many words) and that this is "networking 101". It's one thing for someone to walk away from FreeNAS because it required a networking (or other) understanding that they weren't interested in acquiring. It's quite another for them to feel like they walked away because they feel we were opaque and hostile.

I understand and acknowledge that we are FreeBSD, and that we thus philosophically expect people to do a lot of their own legwork. But, this is a FreeBSD appliance, not FreeBSD itself, and so, we do have some responsibility here to do a little handholding, gracefully.

When you can see the user is clearly not up-to-speed on networking, don't blast him with jargon/words. Size him up, and decide what words he's likely to understand and how much explanation he's going to need, based upon a reasonable assessment of what he probably does or does not know, based on the content and tone if the OP's question.

I'm just saying, this user should have been given more of a break, and our responses to his question should have been constructed, purposefully, with his likely experience- and skill-level in mind.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
You know guys, a user like this one who has gotten this far without knowing basic networking isn't going to suddenly decide to pick it up now. It's like when I encounter a person with a Ph.D. in mathematics who has never programmed a computer---I know that the person had 10000 opportunities to learn how to program the computer on the way to the stage they are at, and for some reason, has not, on purpose. So I figure they have their reasons, and I leave them in peace about it (but, of course, tell them to find a new mentor, lol).

Had I been involved in the thread earlier, I would have simply told the user to go to the global configuration and put in 8.8.8.8 for his nameserver, and if it still didn't work, then we'd go ahead and troubleshoot the egress/gateway. The user just wants the problem fixed---if he wants to understand the fix, he'll come back with a follow-up question.

In the future I'd suggest sizing up your user, and giving a user that you can assess as "not networking savvy", a likely-to-work, one shot solution, or giving them a link to the relevant section of the documentation, or giving them words to google. We're not making any friends telling him that he's a jackass (in so many words) and that this is "networking 101". It's one thing for someone to walk away from FreeNAS because it required a networking (or other) understanding that they weren't interested in acquiring. It's quite another for them to feel like they walked away because they feel we were opaque and hostile.

I understand and acknowledge that we are FreeBSD, and that we thus philosophically expect people to do a lot of their own legwork. But, this is a FreeBSD appliance, not FreeBSD itself, and so, we do have some responsibility here to do a little handholding, gracefully.

When you can see the user is clearly not up-to-speed on networking, don't blast him with jargon/words. Size him up, and decide what words he's likely to understand and how much explanation he's going to need, based upon a reasonable assessment of what he probably does or does not know, based on the content and tone if the OP's question.

I'm just saying, this user should have been given more of a break, and our responses to his question should have been constructed, purposefully, with his likely experience- and skill-level in mind.
While I can agree with part of what you have said, you have also basically stated that we should just spoonfeed someone an answer.

What about the next question they have regarding basic networking? That's probably covered in the docs. Should we spoonfeed every answer that the docs cover to anyone that asks? Why even have docs at that point? Should we not be pointing people to information that they can LEARN on their own?

I wholeheartedly disagree with spoonfeeding people. I don't expect to be spoonfed anything and I won't aid others in said spoonfeeding either.

EDIT: HOLY S#!T, I just went back and read the whole thread. I didn't realize that we were responding to a thread that had ALREADY BEEN ANSWERED! The OP is not the one we have been discussing with for the last couple of days, but someone who didn't bother reading the resolution already in the thread.

Last edited:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
While I can agree with part of what you have said, you have also basically stated that we should just spoonfeed someone an answer.
Listen, you and I are on the same team, and you and I agree on all of this stuff.

We are within our rights to expect users to do some of their own research and to "catch up" before they start asking us stuff. It's the BSD way, and I am 100% on board with the BSD way. So we agree.

I am just saying, if we ARE going to answer a user who appears to not meet the prerequisite knowledge, we should do one of a couple things, just in a business sense:
  • Ignore the user
  • Tell the user something like, "you need to Google the following terms, X, Y, Z, and read the docs."
  • Tell the user something like, "this is not a plug-and-go appliance, it does presuppose that you have some basic to moderate knowledge of things like networking concepts; you might be happier with something else.
I don't think we should be telling a user who seems genuine and a bit lost that he's a jackass and that he needs to brush up on networking 101 and giving him other nerdsnark. We can send him away, or give him guidance, without offending the user's dignity.

That's all I'm saying. I agree with you, though, 100%, that we cannot (and certainly should not) be in the business of spoonfeeding users who haven't done the legwork they need to do to get the most out of our appliance.

Status
Not open for further replies.