Problems using added free space in zfs zraid pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingtj

Dabbler
I'm currently running FreeNAS 8.3.1 on an HP Microserver. When I first configured it, I was on an early version of FreeNAS 8 and I installed four 2TB SATA drives in the system, setting all of them up in a single data pool with zfs.

Everything's been fine, but last week, I decided to upgrade the storage space by switching out the drives, one at a time, with 4TB drives (waiting for each to resilver successfully before doing the next one).

After I completed that successfully, I discovered I didn't have any more free disk space in the pool than I started with.

After doing some more research on this, I realized my zfs pool had the "autoexpand" option disabled (even though more current versions of FreeNAS apparently default with this option "on" when creating new drive pools).

My question, now, is -- What's the easiest way to force it to see that I've got four 4TB drives now instead of four 2TB drives, and use all the space?

I've tried suggestions to enable the autoexpand option from a shell command first, then offline the drive and put it back in the pool after a reboot, but FreeNAS always generates an error message about not being able to put it back in the pool without using the "-f option" (which I can't do using the GUI, obviously), and winds up displaying it with a status of "UNAVAILABLE".

paleoN

Wizard
I've tried suggestions to enable the autoexpand option from a shell command first, then offline the drive and put it back in the pool after a reboot, but FreeNAS always generates an error message about not being able to put it back in the pool without using the "-f option" (which I can't do using the GUI, obviously)
That's a bad suggestion and you can't "put it back in the pool" from the GUI, i.e. online the drive. For each device from zpool status:
Code:
zpool online -e poolname device

aliby

Cadet
Today I replaced 3x1.5 TB drives with 3x2TB ones. I forgot to enable autoexpand, so I followed the instructions on this Wiki page: http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Volumes#Enabling_ZFS_Pool_Expansion_After_Drive_Replacement.

Since all of my drives had resilvered and showed a full 2TB capacity, I did not have to do the "zpool online -e Vol1 gptid/***" step. The only step I performed was to do a:
Code:
zpool export Storage_3TB
zpool import -R /mnt Storage_3TB

Once that was run, I was successful at growing the zpool to 4TB:
Code:
[root@freenas] ~# zpool list
NAME           SIZE  ALLOC   FREE    CAP  DEDUP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
Storage_3TB  4.09T  1.88T  2.21T    46%  1.00x  ONLINE  /mnt

Running a "zfs list" shows I have approximately 4TB available as well:
Code:
[root@freenas] ~# zfs list
NAME                         USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
Storage_3TB                 1.25T  1.43T   295G  /mnt/Storage_3TB

However when I look at my Volumes list in the WebGUI, or when I do a "df -H", it still shows as only 3TB:
Code:
[root@freenas] ~# df -H
Filesystem                    Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
Storage_3TB                 1.9T    317G    1.6T    17%    /mnt/Storage_3TB

Any ideas why I'm not seeing the full 4TB?

Status
Not open for further replies.