Problems installing OpenVPN-jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cougar014

Explorer
hello,

I am trying to install a OpenVPN jail in my Freenas 9.10.2-U1 server.

I am following this guide to do it:
https://www.kirkg.us/posts/running-an-openvpn-server-in-a-freenas-910-jail/

I have created the jail and it started downloading (the template?).
so far so good.

But the problem i have is that if i use the:
"pkg update" command
it is telling me this:
"pository freebsd has a wrong package site need to re-create database"

And i dont know how to fix this.

Can someone please help?
Thanks in advance

Allan Wilmath

Explorer
Have you tested DNS name resolution in the jail? You should try these two commands from inside the jail. Access the jail and instead of the command that fails, try this one.

'dig yahoo.com'

If you don't get a A record lookup listing with an IP address then you need to go over your network settings for the jail. I suspect you will find your problem there.

If you do let a valid A record then you should try seeing if the pkg server is online. You can try pining the server using 'ping <domain name>'

good luck

Cougar014

Explorer
Have you tested DNS name resolution in the jail? You should try these two commands from inside the jail. Access the jail and instead of the command that fails, try this one.

'dig yahoo.com'

If you don't get a A record lookup listing with an IP address then you need to go over your network settings for the jail. I suspect you will find your problem there.

If you do let a valid A record then you should try seeing if the pkg server is online. You can try pining the server using 'ping <domain name>'

good luck

Thanks you for your answer,

When i enter the the jail shell and i type: # dig yahoo.com .
I get the 'Command not found error'.

And when i try to ping the template server (http://download.freenas.org) i get the host name lookup failure...
What to do now.

For the networks settings, there is a static ip selected (by default) on the 255.255.255.0 subnet.
I dont understand why that should be a problem?

Allan Wilmath

Explorer
DNS is used to resolve the URL to find the package manager server. If you have no settings in the DNS a part of you never configuration to use 8.8.8.8 and set the default gateway to your home router.

Cougar014

Explorer
Thanks for your answer,

I am currently not at home anymore, so I will look into it Tommorow.

If anyone has more suggestions just throw them in!

Status
Not open for further replies.