Problems in FreeNAS RC1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TravisT

Patron
I upgraded to RC1 the other day because of multiple kernel panics when trying to copy large files over. The FreeNAS box hosts a pretty large collection of media, with files ranging from 100MB to 20+GB. I'm attempting to copy files over from a 2TB hard drive, and I can only get a couple copied at a time because of these problems.

1. Constant disconnecting from the FreeNAS server while copying. Files will copy for a couple seconds, then say the remote server is unavailable. "Try Again" option given by windows never works.
2. Occasional time sync problem between FreeNAS and Windows Domain Controllers
3. Kernel Panics occasionally when copying files, causes reboot of FreeNAS server.

The environment is a Windows 2008 R2 Domain Controller with a Windows 7 host. USB drive connected to host, trying to copy files to FreeNAS with AD authentication enabled.

The FreeNAS box is hosted as a VM on ESXi 5. VM version of the FreeNAS box is 8. I began with 4GB of memory allocated to the FreeNAS box. When I started having these problem, I upped it to 5GB (to enable pre-fetching), then to 8GB. 8GB is still allocated and the problems continue. Another problem I notice is that the clock skew on the FreeNAS server is often great, and my windows time is always correct. As I type this, my FreeNAS clock is over 13 minutes fast. The last NTP event logged was "Jul 18 21:46:36 vFreeNAS ntpd[1830]: time reset +14418.234845 s", so NTP seems to be acting up, which may be causing some of the problems here.

I had the FreeNAS box pointing to my DCs for NTP, with a third pointing to pool.ntp.org. When I noticed this problem, I removed the pointers to the DC (which I thought may be acting up), and pointed FreeNAS towards the pool.ntp.org (which is also where my DCs are pointed).

Autotune was turned off, I deleted the tunables that were defaulted in there. No difference. Just turned the autotune on to see if that makes a difference, but nothing to report yet.

Need to get these files copied over. Am I missing something simple here?

TravisT

Patron
The transfer of 19.3GB of data seems to be working so far, but it's reporting 6.5 hrs to transfer over a 1GB network. xfer speed shows 1.72MB/s in windows. I'm thinking this is related to the tunables, because my speeds were closer to 30MB/s transferring from a USB3 drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.