Problems creating new initiator

Status
Not open for further replies.

FunkyZero

Dabbler
I am trying to setup a new iscsi disk for a vmware cluster. I created a new extent.. no problems... next step in the list is to create a new initiator and I can't save it.
I already have 2 initiators using "all" for initiator names and a single address x.x.x.x/32 in the allowed networks. It never gave me any issues and has been running fine now for 5 days.
However, now I am trying to create the new initiator for my esx cluster and I can no longer add new ones. Even if I leave the screen ALL/ALL and call it simply "test" , I click Ok and nothing happens, the configuration popup just stays there and wont save anything. I'm going nuts with this thing.
Anyone have any suggestions on how I can figure out what is going on here? I'm completely stumped.
==========
OS Version: FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p1
Platform: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5606 @ 2.13GHz
System Time: Tue Aug 2 21:45:14 PDT 2011
Uptime: 9:45PM up 5 days, 2:14, 0 users
Load Average: 0.04, 0.06, 0.05
FreeNAS Build: FreeNAS-8.0-RELEASE-amd64

ProtoSD

MVP
I think it might be an issue with FreeNAS 8.0, but I'm not certain. Are you able to try 8.01 beta 4?

FunkyZero

Dabbler
This sounds like what is going on.
Would you have any suggestions or ideas on a workaround? It appears the beta release has the same issue. I put this thing into production... none of these issues cropped up during testing, now I have a pretty big mess on my hands not being able to add storage targets.
Any ideas would really be appreciated.

FunkyZero

Dabbler
I just noticed in the ticket it is apparently fixed in r7010?
I see later releases as well.. but I'm having trouble locating what exactly I should download to get the newest build that will upgrade my current 64bit version without losing my config or any data.
Can you point me in the right direction? I can't afford to screw this up.

FunkyZero

Dabbler
guys,
I'm in a pretty bad pinch here, if someone can steer me in the right direction it sure would help me out.
Regarding the bug: https://support.freenas.org/ticket/489#comment:3
Im running RELEASE 8.0. Apparent'y, the 8.01 beta4 also contains this bug. The notes in the ticket state the fix has been included in the newest releases.
Where the heck can I find the amd64 iso I need to upgrade this thing to the newest build? I've dug all over the place and can't find anything newer than the 07/13 beta4 release listed here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/freenas/files/FreeNAS-8.0.1/ and according to notes, that iso contains the same bug.

ProtoSD

MVP
FunkyZero, build r7010 is something you have to compile from the source code (see FAQ about compiling the kernel). Maybe someone here has downloaded/built that release and is willing to share it with you..... BUT.... it's totally experimental/test and you could discover some other problem since it hasn't been tested outside 'the lab', so you would be taking a chance. It's up to you, I've done it, and could make the latest build, but I'd need some time to put it together.

Anyone else out there that has r7010 or willing to share with FunkyZero if he's willing to give it a go?

UPDATE: FunkyZero, I just realized I'm not setup to built the AMD64 ISO, I could do it, but it would take a couple more days.

FunkyZero

Dabbler
Thanks for the links and advice everyone.
I downloaded one of the newest builds and did the upgrade.
I was able to add new targets and initiators but I'm still waiting on the dang firewall guy to make some changes so I can't tell quite yet if everything is kosher. My original targets did come back up without issues though.
This was a big deal causing me a lot of grief with projects stuck on hold with no storage so again, thanks for all the advice and help.

FunkyZero

Dabbler
Well things are moving slow but I wanted to post results...
After networking issues were corrected, I still had problems.
First off, I downloaded FreeNAS-8r7059-amd64 and ran an upgrade on the existing non-working system. After this procedure, I could now add new initiators. However, no matter how much I tried, nothing could connect to new targets. I even tried a machine that was successfully attaching to original targets. It could attach to it's original targets still, but no new ones would work.
Ok, so I downloaded sqlite browser assuming the new settings weren't REALLY being written to the config, well they were and everything looked identical to previous targets that were still working.
So now I had to assume that the upgrade process wasn't actually replacing whatever was broken in the RELEASE version so...
I re-installed 7059 again, this time no upgrade, scrap and fresh install. Uploaded the saved configuration, tried adding my new targets and? Still broken. No new targets will work.
At his point, I have to assume some sort of corruption in my config so... another fresh install, this time I do an auto-import on the ZFS volume and recreate every stinking setting manually from scratch.
Viola... NOW I can get a new target to work; there was something about that saved config from the previous install, but I have no idea what it could have been. Now I have a new issues that I believe is completely non-related so I am going to start a new thread on it instead of chasing this one all the way to hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.