Error "Initiator not found in database" when creating/editing iSCSI targets after deleting Initiators

SamM

Dabbler
I write this because I encountered this error, and could not find anything in the forums with "Initiator not found in database" (or even on Google). There appears to be a bug in the current FreeNAS-11.2-U5 regarding the database and/or GUI that manage the iSCSI Initiators.
  1. Say you create 15 initiators. They will automatically be assigned "Group ID" numbers 1-15 respectively as you create each one.
  2. Next, you create a iSCSI Target, and point its "Initiator Group ID" value to one of those Initiator ID's; let's say ID 13.
  3. Go back to iSCSI Initiators pane, and delete at least one of the Initiators with an ID less than the ID assigned in Step 2. For example, delete the Initiators with ID's 11 & 12.
  4. This will cause the Initiator originally ID'd as 13 to be redefined by however many lower ID'd Initiators were deleted in Step 3. In this example, we deleted 2 lower ID'd Initiators, so the Initiator that was ID 13 becomes ID 11.
  5. Go back to the iSCSI Target created in Step 2 and edit it. You should find that it's "Initiator Group ID" value has been cleared/reset.
  6. Here is where the error comes: If you try to assign the same Target, which is now ID 11, then click "Save", you will get the error '## Initiator not found in database' and will not be able to proceed.
  7. The fix (for me at least) is to delete any and all Initiators that had their ID automatically reordered (in this case, Initiator ID 11 through 13), then recreate them as needed.
    1. I (arguably) 'lucked out' and discovered this as I was trying to go into Production with this server. Had this happened after I was in production, and had been forced to delete Targets that got reordered and already in use, that could be catastrophic to whatever systems are dependent on those iSCSI targets...
Hope this helps someone...

D

dlavigne

Please report this at bugs.ixsystems.com and post the issue number here.