Problem with portsnap

Status
Not open for further replies.

whatigot1985

Cadet
As per the section. I am new to freeNas. i have been trying to install deluge on my machine. The hitch is i need to use Portsnap update. when i try to use this it does not reconize the command . I have serched for hours and can not fine a way of installing port snap onto the machine so that i can use the commands . Any way of helping a newbie out?

Machine is first gen haswell MB with 8GB ddr3 memory. Intel i5 3330 3Ghz. freenas is installed on a 16gb flash. i also have 2x 2tb wd Red.

thank you to whom ever can help me

danb35

Hall of Famer
Are you using a jail to try to install deluge? If not, you should be. Portsnap should be part of a standard jail in FreeNAS.

Your hardware isn't optimal for FreeNAS, in that it doesn't use ECC RAM, but that's not what's causing your problem.

whatigot1985

Cadet
I believe so. Like I said I'm pretty new. I'm am using ssh to enter the machine . I have have some ecc memory on order snow storm we just had delayed it a bit lol.
what steps do you think i should be following. I am more then open to suggestions.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Your i5 CPU doesn't support ECC, so that won't do you any good. The hardware recommendations are important, but they're not what's causing your problem.

What you should be doing:
  • In web GUI, go to Jails -> Add Jails
  • Enter a name ("deluge" would be good) and click OK. Wait for the process to finish.
  • Do 'jls'. You'll see your jail listed with a number
  • Do 'jexec (number) csh'. If your jail was listed as #1, for example, you'd do 'jexec 1 csh'.
  • You're now in your jail. Run 'portsnap fetch extract' to download the ports tarball and extract it.

whatigot1985

Cadet
well i should say that i created a jail for deluge. but unlike when i installed plex i can not get it to recognize the command

whatigot1985

Cadet
I got

root@Deluge:/usr/ports/net-p2p/deluge # portsnap fetch update
Looking up portsnap.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 7 mirrors found.
Fetching snapshot tag from your-org.portsnap.freebsd.org... done.
Latest snapshot on server matches what we already have.
No updates needed.
Ports tree is already up to date.
root@Deluge:/usr/ports/net-p2p/deluge # make install clean
===> deluge-1.3.11_1,1 pkg(8) must be version 1.3.8 or greater, but you have 1.
3.7. You must upgrade the ports-mgmt/pkg port first.
*** [install] Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/net-p2p/deluge.
root@Deluge:/usr/ports/net-p2p/deluge #

now im not quite sure how to fix that. Also thank you so much for the help!

The answer is right in front of you:
pkg(8) must be version 1.3.8 or greater, but you have 1.
3.7. You must upgrade the ports-mgmt/pkg port first.
Code:
pkg update && pkg upgrade
will do the trick (without the "1." part of course).

Another thing: you can access the jail's shell directly from the GUI. Select the jail and click on the shell button.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Another thing: you can access the jail's shell directly from the GUI. Select the jail and click on the shell button.
Yeah, but the GUI shell is pretty bad, especially when it comes to copy/paste. SSH to FreeNAS then jls, or enabling ssh on the jail itself, is the way to go for any but the most trivial CLI work.

Yeah, but the GUI shell is pretty bad, especially when it comes to copy/paste. SSH to FreeNAS then jls, or enabling ssh on the jail itself, is the way to go for any but the most trivial CLI work.
I haven't had any problem whatsoever using the GUI. I don't use copy-paste, since i want to learn the command line as much as possible. For the occasional copy-paste action, i use the paste button, which works fine for me. What alse is bad about the GUI shell? Just curious, since i seem to have a different experience.

danb35

Hall of Famer
"Pretty bad" may have been an overstatement; honestly, it's been long enough since I used the GUI shell for anything over than the most trivial of work that I don't remember a whole lot of detail. The best I can recall was issues recognizing some or all control characters, and possibly issues with text editors like nano. If it works for you, fine--I don't think it's going to silently do anything to hurt your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.