Previously working FreeNas SMB share no longer authenticating after SCALE-23.10.0.1

greyhatt

Cadet
Hello all and thanks for taking a look at my SMB-related SCALE-23.10 post. I'm a long time free-nas user of 10 years. Recently did new clean install on ssd to get to (TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.0.1) last month using existing pool on HDDs and restored from backup config file. Everything seemed to come up fine. However, for some reason, I can’t seem to 1.) access one of my smb shares that was working fine prior to moving to TrueNas scale or 2.) Login to the UI using my prior username even though I can shell in fine. I have to use root to login to the web interface.

I regards to the share issue, I even tried to start a completely new share on a new dataset with open ACLs, full permissions as a sanity check and still couldn’t get in with Caja on linux, Mac, or Windows. There is no AD, LDAP, or external auth here; just local accounts and ACLs.
I searched and read through the FreeNas Help & Support/Sharing archive but couldn’t find anything that stood out.
Is there a troubleshooting direction I should start looking at ? Is there a SAMBA/CIFS log that I can peak at to figure out what’s going on. What silly thing am I doing wrong ?

greyhatt

Cadet
Hello all and thanks for taking a look at my SMB-related SCALE-23.10 post. I'm a long time free-nas user of 10 years. Recently did new clean install on ssd to get to (TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.0.1) last month using existing pool on HDDs and restored from backup config file. Everything seemed to come up fine. However, for some reason, I can’t seem to 1.) access one of my smb shares that was working fine prior to moving to TrueNas scale or 2.) Login to the UI using my prior username even though I can shell in fine. I have to use root to login to the web interface.

I regards to the share issue, I even tried to start a completely new share on a new dataset with open ACLs, full permissions as a sanity check and still couldn’t get in with Caja on linux, Mac, or Windows. There is no AD, LDAP, or external auth here; just local accounts and ACLs.
I searched and read through the FreeNas Help & Support/Sharing archive but couldn’t find anything that stood out.
Is there a troubleshooting direction I should start looking at ? Is there a SAMBA/CIFS log that I can peak at to figure out what’s going on. What silly thing am I doing wrong ?
Created yet another new share with default perms on dataset and smb share and it worked. Through reading, I also found out that not other user beside root is able to login to the UI. Now I'd like to find out why the 'make visible' option is disabled on the new share. I'd like it to be hidden when all shares are browsed.