SOLVED Prevent a user from seeing a directory in a smb share

Status
Not open for further replies.

NasKar

Guru
I trying to prevent user1 from being able to see /parent/dir1 on a macbook. The smb share is for the /parent directory and the dataset parent is unix type. I want other users to still be able to browse the parent directory and subdirectories. I've changed the permissions on dir1 to 750 and that prevents opening the contents of the directory but I don't want them to see it. Can this be done with an ACL? If so please help me with the command. I've put user1 in the hosts deny in the smb advanced section without any benefit. Thanks.

Last edited:

NasKar

Guru
You probably want to to check out my Samba video's.
Already watched it but will rewatch it in case I missed the solution the first time.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
You should set share permissions type to "windows", enable the zfsacl VFS module, set permissions like @m0nkey_ stated, then remove the 'read attributes' permission for the user from the directory in question.

NasKar

Guru
You should set share permissions type to "windows", enable the zfsacl VFS module, set permissions like @m0nkey_ stated, then remove the 'read attributes' permission for the user from the directory in question.

I have the parent dataset set to windows permission type, zfsacl VFS module is enabled by default and have a user and user1 connected to a group called parent.
To remove the read attributes for the user1 from dir1
Code:
setfacl -m user:user1: dir1/
setfacl: dir1/: branding mismatch; existing ACL is NFSv4, entry to be merged is POSIX.1e

Do I have the command correct to remove read attributes for user1?
Is the error caused by the parent dir being setup as windows type permissions but the subdir of dir1 is not?

NasKar

Guru
In windows explorer I went to the security tab for the properties of dir1 and added user1 to the list. Set the user1 properties to deny all. It seems to work. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.