Pre-sale question on zvol upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

IDtheTarget

Dabbler
Hello!

I'm getting ready to buy the FreeNAS mini XL. I already have 5 3-TB WD Red drives that I'd purchased last year but haven't used yet. after reading as much as I've been able to on this forum, I've determined that I want to run a RAID-z2. I'm going to have a bunch of stuff that I just do not want to risk losing.

Now, I need to purchase three new drives. I know that if I purchase 3 6-TB drives, when I create the zvol only 3TB of each of those drives will be used. However, if I replace one 3-TB drive with a 6-TB drive each couple of months, eventually I'll have all 6-TB drives. At that point, will FreeNAS upgrade the space on the zvol, or will I have to do it manually? And in either case, will my data be safe or will I need to (somehow) back it up off the XL and then re-load it after the space increase?

I'm asking because, if it's that big a pain, I'll just buy 3TB drives and worry about buying bigger drives when at some point in the future when I win the lottery. :smile:

Thanks!

nojohnny101

Wizard
Welcome to the forums!

Now, I need to purchase three new drives. I know that if I purchase 3 6-TB drives, when I create the zvol only 3TB of each of those drives will be used.
That's correct.

However, if I replace one 3-TB drive with a 6-TB drive each couple of months, eventually I'll have all 6-TB drives.
Correct.

At that point, will FreeNAS upgrade the space on the zvol, or will I have to do it manually? And in either case, will my data be safe or will I need to (somehow) back it up off the XL and then re-load it after the space increase?
You will not have to off-load your data, the volume should auto-expand. You can view the relevant section in the manual for an explanation in detail: FreeNAS Manual Aut0-Expand (sections 8.1.11 & 8.1.12)

Also, remember that raidz functionally is NOT a substation for having a backup. If I were you, I would backup my crucial data that I could not afford to lose to an external drive, maybe just a cheap external drive. There are many events where raidz does not protect you like electrical surges, theft, fire, etc.

Good luck!

IDtheTarget

Dabbler
Personally, it always seems to save me time to just start out with more storage in the first place.

I agree. Unfortunately I don't have the extra $1,900 for 8 6-TB drives right now. I'm at the limit of my budget with the Mini XL and the 3 6-TB drives. though now I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to buy one more as a "cold spare"... *sigh*

wblock

Documentation Engineer
I understand. For what it's worth, FreeNAS 9.10 is supposed to autoexpand when the individual disks have all been replaced with larger disks.

Status
Not open for further replies.