PowerEdge T640 and FreeNAS 11.3U1 (would that work?)

ElCoyote_

Cadet
Hi,
I'm thinking of building a new NAS and I'm thinking of the following setup (see beblow).
- PowerEdge T640 with 18 x 3.5Bays, Xeon Scalable 4210 or 4208, 32Gb RAM, H730P PERC (JBOD mode)
- Dual IDSM 16gb SD Card for boot
- 6 to 7 * WD RED 6Tb drives in Raid Z2
- one 10G NIC (Mellanox CX-4 Lx)
Would that work? Would that be stable enough for FreeNAS?
Any comments? Thank you

Jessep

Patron
Change the HBA to H330 and you should be good to go.
Has onboard 2 port 10Gb base-t, do you need more ports?

That system is on my short list for a new build, under $2k, 18 bay, semi-quiet (can't control the fans), 3 years support.
According to the manual the 18 Bay version includes the mid bay 4 fan unit.

You can save on iDRAC Enterprise, looks like you can buy the license on EBAY for much cheaper.
If you only have a single UPS you can go with a single power supply and save a bit there as well.

ElCoyote_

Cadet
Hi Jessep, I'm more familiar with the H730P so I'll keep that option (I have a spare card) and will sell the H330 that comes with the T640.
2x10g onboard is more than enough for me.
I'll report here how the build goes. I have a T630 (18bays too) and the system is very quiet. Alas, since it's being used an hypervisor, I cannot use it for FreeNAS. Yes, eBay is a good source of cheap iDrac licenses (thankfully). I got the 750W PSU (single unit) because I was worried I may overload the 495W PSU if I had more than 10 disks (not on the target but who knows..)