Power Surge Killed my FreeNAS box - Help Troubleshooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamrajnagar

Explorer
I built a FreeNAS box around 4 years ago.

Supermicro MBD-A1SAi-2750F-O which has an embedded Atom C2750.
1 x 8GB Kingston KVR16LSE11/8 ECC RAM

I had FreeNAS running on 192.168.1.100 and the Supermicro IMPI port on 192.168.1.150.

192.168.150 still shows up, but 192.168.1.100 has disappeared, telling me there is an issue booting into FreeNAS.

I can still ssh into my server on 192.168.1.150, and navigate to sol1. However when I type the command 'start' I get the following, but no command prompt:

/system1/sol1
press <Enter>, <Esc>, and then <T> to terminate session
(press the keys in sequence, one after the other)

Networking isn't my specialty, and I only run into issues with my FreeNAS box sporadically, so I never remember how to fix it.

What should my next steps be in attempting to diagnose the problem?

Thanks!

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Sounds like your boot device is dead.

Chamrajnagar

Explorer
Sounds like your boot device is dead.

It seems to be working. I can access the server via Java iKVM Viewer. I selected the reboot option and was given three version of FreeNAS to boot to. I chose the most recent one. After a few minutes I'm presented with a list of 14 options, under which it says:

"You may try the following URLs to access the web user interface:
http://192.168.1.100
Enter an option from 1-14: Aug 30 10:54:24 freenas ntpd_initres[2449]: host name not found: 0.freebsd.pool.ntp.org"

I still can't access FreeNAS through 192.168.1.100 like I used to be able to, nor do I see that IP on my router like I used to.

kdragon75

Wizard
Have you tried moving network cables around? Perhaps the switch was damaged.

Chamrajnagar

Explorer
It's taken me a while to find time to have another look at this. I managed to access the server through the IPMI interface, and for whatever reason FreeNAS was running but not accessible on the IP it said it was, which forced me to do a factory reset. I'm now back up and running, and can access the web GUI, but my volume isn't connected. I imported it, and it shows up in the left pane under Storage > Volumes, but nothing shows in the Volumes tab of the main Storage tab. Wondering if I need to do a fresh FreeNAS install and then re-import from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.