Power saving tips?

MjSmith

Dabbler
@NugentS

i loggin as admin, as suggested.
shall i try root? ( when i find out how ).

another short question: In disk settings you can select standby and even a power consumption plan (level 1 for me) but the disk doesnt go into sleep mode at all?

Thats a little bit confusing for me... in one topic i could read that zfs always write sometimes on the disk so its kind of the technic behind zfs logic ... and now i find out these settings which arent effective at it seems but available ... any information on that?

NugentS

MVP
Given that you are not the OP. Please read forum rules at the top and post your hardware
Also, how many pools do you have other than your boot pool?
What hardware are you booting from?
Where is your system dataset?

MjSmith

Dabbler
@NugentS

Shall i open a new thread?
To give all technichal informations clear i created a signature with everything like u did.

So for now just 1 Pool (besides boot) with 3x HDDs in RAIDZ1.

NugentS

MVP
Where is your system dataset - presumably on the Z1 Pool - that would be the first reason you can't sleep the drives as the system dataset is written to on a regular basis - every few seconds

MjSmith

Dabbler
That would match the informations what i found for the zfs logic (Linux ZFS Flushing/Syncing).
sadly that there is no information about switching the system dataset while configurating.

i switched it to the boot pool and found this thread meantime.
there they write about that also apps impact on that behaviour, which is very obvious but i totally forgot (step after step).
so if i want it really silent there is possible no choice as to switch to SSDs for my usecase right?
or as alternative to make a ssd pool just for the apps but that would be too complicated because i need the data pool for my nextcloud as well, right?

edit: still load every 5 seconds so zfs flushing then?

any ideas what happend to powertop?

Last edited:

NugentS

MVP
powertop runs if you use root
You can set up an apps pool on SSD (many do) and keep the data for nextcloud on the HDD's
the system dataset automatically switches to the first pool you set up

MjSmith

Dabbler
in the docs they say they want to stop using root in the future so... but i give it a try and see what i can learn from it.

if thats a possible solution ... okay ... i dont need that much storage ( 10 tb should be enough ) so its time to think about whats worthy for me at all.

just for information after deleting kubernetes (apps).

Running with Apps: 30W
Running: 25W
IDLE (HD Standby): 19W
IDLE (HD + Powertop Auto): 16,5W

@NugentS Thanks for your help to find out!