Power Outage Freenas wont boot bad usb no backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel5455

Dabbler
My freenas box has been running well for a while and i had a power outage and now when the system boots up the FreeNas OS i see a bunch of garbled graphics and system reboots. Of course i cant find my backup config. So i installed the same version 9.2.1.6 on another usb and tried to import the zpool and i see the screen scroll through a bunch of text fast then reboots. After reboot the pool is not imported. There were two drives that were setup in a mirror so i dont know if there is another way to import these drives or can i connect the drive to a free bsd box and pull the data from that.

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

Unless both drives were damaged, you should be able to import the pool on a FreeBSD system, or on another FreeNAS system running different hardware.

Daniel5455

Dabbler
Shouldnt i be able to import the pool on the same hardware? Is there any logs i can look at to see why its rebooting when i run the autoimport or use command zpool import?

D

dlavigne

Depends upon what that hardware is (you didn't include your specs). If stuff is scrolling by too fast to read, sounds like either there isn't enough RAM or something got damaged.

Daniel5455

Dabbler
The hardware is a custom itx system with intel mobo with embedded atom cpu 4GB of ram and 2 500gb hdds. I just got done running a hardware test and all passed.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, as 4GB of RAM has never been recommended with ZFS, I'd bet you killed the pool with insufficient RAM. :(

Daniel5455

Dabbler
the data on the nas was not important but im bored and would like to learn how to fix this issue. I added a 2gb stick of ram so now i have 6GB, Im going to DL the lastest version of FreeNAS and try to import as well as boot from a Freebsd iso to see if i can see the data. Do you have any other suggestions? Also i like the guide your wrote.

sremick

Patron
tI added a 2gb stick of ram so now i have 6GB, Im going to DL the lastest version of FreeNAS and try to import as well as boot from a Freebsd iso to see if i can see the data. Do you have any other suggestions?

Yeah.... bring it to 8GB RAM since that's the minimum requirements. ;)

Daniel5455

Dabbler
i installed FreeNas 9.3 on another USB and it did mount the zfs pool. Can you explain how i view the data. I tried creating a share and i can see a large file names ext02 but nothing else.

Daniel5455

Dabbler
no i dont have a backup of the db. Is there another way to do this without the backup config.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I've seen discussion on the forums about recovering the config database from your old USB key, so you may want to search and give that a try. Failing that, you'll need to reconfigure the server to match your old configuration--hope you took notes!

gpsguy

The configuration file (freenas-v1..db) is located on the 4th partition of your boot device. jgreco answered a post about a week ago, detailing how to recover the file.

Sent from my phone

Daniel5455

Dabbler
wow I got it working without config. So to Recap for others
My Setup was Free NAS 9.2.1.6 on a Mini ITX computer with 4GB of Ram and 2 HDDs Mirrored. I setup the device to be a ISCSI Target

Issue i had was power outage messed up the USB Boot Drive. I was on version 9.2.1.6 and i had no backup config.
When i tried to install version 9.2.1.6 on another usb and use Auto Import the NAS would flash a bunch of text and reboot. So i bumped up the RAM to 8GB and same issue. I then installed FreeNAS 9.3 on a different USB and booted the system. When i connected the web interface the wizard found the existing pool and imported it successfully. It then gave an alert about upgrading the zpool. So i did that.
Next I reconfigured the ISCI target and rebooted PC and drive was shown and all my data was there.

Thanks for the the help i learned alot more today.

PS if i would of remembered where my config was i probably wouldn't be in the mess.

gpsguy

While you learned a lot today, I would have suggested that you held off on upgrading the pool.

Had you not upgraded the pool, you could continue your efforts to get a working 9.2.1.x boot disk and been able to use either version. Now, that you've upgraded the pool, there's no going back.

At the end of the day, I'm glad to hear you have things working again and are able to access your data.

It then gave an alert about upgrading the zpool. So i did that.

Status
Not open for further replies.