Possibly looking at FreeNAS but no idea. 8 HDDS differ GB's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Incog

Cadet
I am no stranger to computer hardware/software I'm a quick study with this stuff. I have a 4 bay Nas by netgear so I am building this FreeNAS to use up old components for fun and making a custom case for living room eye candy. I have 8 HDD's , 7 Sata and 1 IDE, all varying in storage space lowest is a 160GB to a 500GB. I am not looking to put anything on this device that I CAN NOT LOSE. The MOBO is from a old computer I took off a friend (MOBO/CPU year roughly 2000's he thought). It has 4 Sata ports and 1 IDE port, so thats 5 HDD( hopefully I can use). That leaves 3 more (possibly 4) HDD's is there anyway I could hook them up via usb and still be in the NAS array? Also with the varying HDD storages will it be like my regular NAS?

I could not find anything on the forum searches with this question.
Thanks for reading/helping.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Read the recommended hardware on the documentation and you will likely find the issues with what you have described

Sent from my Nexus 5

Incog

Cadet
So your saying I have the recommended hardware then? That's what I gather from your vague post.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So your saying I have the recommended hardware then? That's what I gather from your vague post.

Yep.

You had the necessary tools at your disposal that you could have answered your own question without even asking. That's what he was trying to show you, but was being polite about it. I won't be. The manual told you your answers. Use it. We've got the manual, forum stickies, etc. We've put hard time into writing them and keeping them up to date. If you don't want to use them that's fine. But don't expect hand holding. ;)

Incog

Cadet
Yep.

You had the necessary tools at your disposal that you could have answered your own question without even asking. That's what he was trying to show you, but was being polite about it. I won't be. The manual told you your answers. Use it. We've got the manual, forum stickies, etc. We've put hard time into writing them and keeping them up to date. If you don't want to use them that's fine. But don't expect hand holding. ;)
I was sent directly here by a friend who then had to sign off. Your fourms speak of being "noob" friendly but an admin acts hostile towards me? Even though my account is an hour old don't think I didn't search this fourm site for at least 3 hours. Much of these terms are foreign to me, this is unexplored territory for me I had no idea about this "manual" till I click on your signature. So thanks for your signature at least but if this is what I can expect from admin. just WOW.
I will not respond to you if you try to escalate this.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Don't worry, I won't. Good luck to you though!

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
My post was not vague.

Read the documentation, found in the exact same location as the download of the iso. You will see that the hardware you have described will not work well at all, and you need to understand that zfs will require more than you have and not allow you to combine your mixed hard drive sizes comfortably. Basically, FreeNAS will probably not work with your configuration.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Status
Not open for further replies.