Possible? Replicate a replicated dataset?

Status
Not open for further replies.

glatour

Cadet
Hi,

I would like to replicate 4 SSD NAS datasets to a disk NAS during the day. These 5 NAS are located at a colocation facility. I would like then to replicate these 4 datasets on the disk NAS to our office NAS during the night. That way, I have local snapshots and remote snapshots in case of a disaster.

Is this possible?

Thanks.

Gabriel

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
As of one of the Sept 2015 releases, you can replicate a dataset to 2 or more different targets, each with their own schedule (prior to that, it wasn't possible). Keep in mind that you will be replicating snapshots. So the snapshot schedule and your rate of change are important considerations.

glatour

Cadet
OK just to confirm I can replicate a dataset that sits on server A to server B and then to server C?

The flow would be A -> B -> C

glatour

Cadet
OK I can confirm that it works, I made a setup with 3 VMs and the dataset on server A went to server B and server C. Wonderful!

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
I thought you wanted to go A->B and A->C which is possible. I didn't know that you could go A -> B -> C. Very nice!

glatour

Cadet
Schedule seems to be important because server A fails sometimes to replicate to server B but after a retry, it works. The snapshots are every 5 minutes for testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.