Possible platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfraser

Cadet
Hi I have been looking online for a used supermicro platform for a home NAS build. I have found this :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro-...948606?hash=item25d5465e3e:g:xTQAAOSwqWNZALPA

Assuming the supplied RAM is ECC, the platform seems acceptable for my requirements from what i have read thus far on this site. I currently have approx. 4T of audio/video media which is and will continue to be backed up locally (Plus a additional monthly backup of the audio content is kept offsite at my place of work).

At this point my media content does not grow that dramatically, but would like some room to grow, therefore with that in mind and considering RAIDZ2 inefficiencies, I am looking at building a 8-12 T ZFS from WD 4T Red drives. Boot drive will either be flash or SSD. I may enable the PLEX service on this platform. I think that 12G of RAM should be sufficient for a 8T files system and PLEX? If not I can purchase additional memory.

Couple of questions, is their any glaring mistakes? Does anyone know how loud this platform is? It will be rack mounted in my basement, but the rack is located directly beneath my family room, which is our principal location for enjoying all of our media, so fan noise is a consideration.

Thanks for help, and suggestions

Scott

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I think that 12G of RAM should be sufficient for a 8T files system and PLEX? If not I can purchase additional memory.
You'll probably want at least 16GB. Though since it's triple-channel, 24GB makes more sense.

Does anyone know how loud this platform is?
Somewhere between damned loud and deafening with the old PSUs and somewhere between too loud for a quiet office to maddening with new PSUs.

You'll also need to fill the empty slots with trays and all empty trays with the fake HDD plates, otherwise your drives will not get sufficient airflow.

sfraser

Cadet
Damm, PSU noise level will likely be a deal breaker. I have buried GE to my 24'x24' insulated garage out back , but being I live in Canada, it would be too hot in the garage during the summer , and too cold during the winter. I guess I could call the host Goldilocks and give it a try LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.