Possible configuration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crustacean

Dabbler
I know an 8 drive configuration isn't optimal, but speed isn't really a factor here. I like saturating 2 nics, but it isn't required.

Anyway, I have 8x1TB drives that id like to use in raid Z2. I backed up my existing (6x1TB) volume, added two 1TB drives i got for free, and created a new volume with all 8 drivers. I expected to be able to have 6 drives usable, with 2 for parity, but i guess that isn't possible? The GUI didn't give me the option. My current configuration appears to be 4 usable drives, 4 for parity. That's a little much in the redundancy department.. Is it possible to get more usable space from my configuration? if not I'm going to have to pop out the two drives i added and find a use for them elsewhere.

I found posts like this elsewhere, and it seemed like others had a 6+2 configuration working. Even 5+3 would work if raidz3 supports that. Thanks in advance :D.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The GUI absolutely give you options. You didn't exercise those options apparently though.

Read the FreeNAS manual at doc.freenas.org. ;)

Crustacean

Dabbler
The GUI absolutely give you options. You didn't exercise those options apparently though.

Read the FreeNAS manual at doc.freenas.org. ;)

I must have missed something.. I've read the manual and I've done this multiple times ha.
I selected Raid Z2, and was able to utilize all 8 drives, but i didnt see an option to limit the parity to two disks. Ill run through the manual, try it again, and post my results. Thanks!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
RAIDZ2 is, by definition, 2 disks. There is no such thing as RAIDZ2 with anything other than 2 disks for parity.

Crustacean

Dabbler
I see. I'm a failure. I don't know how I didn't figure this out yesterday!

A 6+2 configuration won't be dangerous as far as my ability to rebuild after the loss of a disk right? It just results in performance degradation?

Also, in regards to your last post, i thought that was the case. So im not sure what the hell i did yesterday. But it looked like this.
I guess it was two vdevs? I don't know. Anyway thanks again cyberjock, this will be the third time you've helped me out.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That screenshot is of 2 vdevs that are RAIDZ2. You wanted one vdev that is RAIDZ2 so you have 2 parity disks total.

And an 8-drive RAIDZ2 is quite safe and will work just fine for home use.

Crustacean

Dabbler
speeds are workable, but no longer even saturate a single gigabit NIC. About 105mb/s.
that's more than half of speed i was seeing before, and more of a hit than i was expecting. I might have to ditch this configuration and just get some bigger drives...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
speeds are workable, but no longer even saturate a single gigabit NIC. About 105mb/s.
that's more than half of speed i was seeing before, and more of a hit than i was expecting. I might have to ditch this configuration and just get some bigger drives...

Try some large sequential reads/writes. Those should be less affected by the inefficiencies from having a non-power of two amount of drives + parity drives. If that still doesn't saturate GbE, something else is up - most likely a Realtek controller on one or both ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.