Poor SMB performance & high CPU load

Volts

Patron
opportunity to learn something new today

Perfect! Once I get that out of the way, I can go back to hitting things with hammers. :smile:

How well does the standalone lz4 executable correlate to ZFS behavior?

I thought these both seemed relevant:

This has a bunch of meaty refererences:
Including a link to this:
Showing that with incompressible data, on SSD, =lz4 achieved 98% the speed of =off.

So my thoughts are a combination of these factors -
A 2% worst-case penalty isn't significant
Any real-world mix of data will compress much more than 2%
Systems with spinning disks benefit greatly from avoiding IOPS

I would like to see a real-world example of =off being faster. I hypothesize that would be an unusually slow CPU, paired with disproportionally fast storage, writing incompressible data.

Davvo

MVP
Thanks for your reply, not too encouraging though :-( on running a power efficient NAS
Why would you virtualize if you want a power efficency NAS?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
How well does the standalone lz4 executable correlate to ZFS behavior?

It doesn't really matter that much. A call to a compression library is slower than no call to any compression library.

A 2% worst-case penalty isn't significant

So upon finding that I'm correct, you decide instead to declare the result insignificant. Okay.

Not true. There's plenty of already incompressible data out there. It would be fine to suggest that there is a large amount of real world data that compresses readily that can save 2% or more. It's better to make true statements than make statements that appear to be slanted to advance one's arguments without being based in fact.

Systems with spinning disks benefit greatly from avoiding IOPS

Sometimes. But it's also fair to say that systems with slow I/O (including SATA SSD) benefit greatly from being able to exploit extremely fast CPU; compression is often useful in such scenarios which is why ZFS will compare its attempt at compression against the uncompressed block. It potentially saves storage space, and upon read, data typically decompresses at a rate faster than a slow I/O device (such as SATA SSD) is capable of feeding it to the host in an uncompressed state.

I would like to see a real-world example of =off being faster. I hypothesize that would be an unusually slow CPU, paired with disproportionally fast storage, writing incompressible data.

I would think it would be fairly easy to show this for any one of those variables, and as far as I'm aware, a number of people have done so.

Whattteva

Wizard
Not true. There's plenty of already incompressible data out there. It would be fine to suggest that there is a large amount of real world data that compresses readily that can save 2% or more.
Just to illustrate this point, I took a look at one of my pools. As you can see from the screenshot below, the vast majority of the data only has 2-4% compression savings. There are only 2 datasets that have more significant savings and those are "vm" and "pve". "vm" is a zvol for a Windows VM, which is mostly empty, while "pve" is just hosts various Linux ISO images and those constitute for a small fraction of my entire "real-world mix" of data resulting in the pool's entire saving to just 2%.

1688701894086.png

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I've been working with these kinds of things from the days of DoubleSpace and Stacker under DOS, and while they may reclaim some space, they always seem to do so at some cost. It's a classic pick-any-two problem. ZFS is nice in that it is pretty efficient, allows you to pick yer poison, and knows how to back off on incompressible data. That said, if you have a really fast I/O subsystem like NVMe and a really fast network like 25G, 40G, or faster, CPU based compression is going to be highly noticeable when inserted into the chain. There is already one company trying to advocate for replacing CPU-based RAID computations with GPU (see graidtech.com) but this doesn't really seem to be taking the industry by storm. I think it's reasonable to note that the act of opportunistic compression may pay off in many cases, but that turning it off is a good way to eliminate any chance of a CPU based bottleneck. We still have people showing up with old, slowish, hot and heavy Westmere and Nehalem gear trying to turn them into NAS.

Whattteva

Wizard
We still have people showing up with old, slowish, hot and heavy Westmere and Nehalem gear trying to turn them into NAS.
It's almost old enough to hold its own driver's license!

mrpasc

Dabbler
Anyone tried to run SLOG on a Samsung Pro 980? I mostly saw enterprise SSDs being used...(not in my budget currently)
Client Optanes like p1600x, 900p/905p are in the same price range (or even lower for the p1600x) than a Pro 980. eBay is full of 900p 280GB cards for around 80-90$, p1600x 118GB at newegg.com or Amazon for around 60$, 905p 380GB I have seen at the STH sale threat for 150$.