Poor performance with 2TB/4k HDDs and Raid-Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milhouse

Guru
Interesting machine the microserver...And what about the CIFS tranfers?

With a Windows 7 SP1 PC (Intel i7-870/8GB RAM, Realtek GigE) and CIFS, when reading an 8GB file from the Microserver-based FreeNAS 8.0.2-BETA2 to an Intel X-25M SSD in the PC, the speed averaged 60MB/s-63MB/s, and when writing the same 8GB file from the SSD back to the FreeNAS the speed averaged 65MB/s-70MB/s.

Note that I've installed a cheap £20 Intel Pro-1000 CT NIC and disabled the built-in Broadcom NIC as the latter gave me problems when testing with iperf - the bge driver would hang and reset the NIC, apparently a long standing issue with this driver and BSD so the easiest solution was to go Intel.

Both PC and FreeNAS are connected to a Netgear GigE switch, and Jumbo Frames are not enabled. I could probably get slightly better results if I dumped the Realtek in the PC, as this is now most likely the last remaining "bottleneck" although to be honest I'm happy as it is with the performance.

I did notice a significant performance improvement after I recreated the volume in 8.0.1-BETA2 with forced 4K sectors - it had previously been created in 8.0-RELEASE without 4K sector support (dd performance was about 100MB/s read, 80MB/s write).

nismohks

Dabbler
i am using seagate St2000DL003 5900rpm drives with Freenas 8.0.4 Release p2 on my microserver with 8gb ECC ram.

i destroyed my pool and recreated using 4k sectors and now my transfer speed is slower than ever before and im only getting 12MB/sec writes compared to 35MB/sec before when using CIFS and windows 7.

in CIFS, ive enabled:

Large RW Support
Send files with sendfile(2)
Enable AIO
Minimum AIO read size 4096
Minimum AIO write size 4096

Any suggestions on tweaking this?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.