Poor performance for the hardware I have

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozzyman778

Dabbler
Get the WD Red drives, which are usually only marginally more expensive than the WD Green ones. And they're made for NAS. TLER is helpful whether you use hardware or software RAID, but it's more critical to hardware RAID. If you're using RAIDZ1 or RAIDZ2, you can set TLER on the Red drives and let them go ahead and fail marginal sectors and let the recovery/parity information recreate it. IMO that's better than sitting there for 5 minutes trying to recover a marginal/bad sector. If you're buying drives, just make life simple on yourself and get the WD Reds unless they're much more expensive than Greens.

Agreed! Just bought 4x2TB WD reds for $118 a piece, not much more than WD greens if you shop around. Not to mention I can't even tell there spinning they are so smooth and when i re-silvered my entire array one drive at a time the WD Reds were barely warm to the touch while the old 500g drives (Various manufactures to include two WD blacks) were hot to the touch.

reb00tas

Dabbler
Hello I can over 10 days I have tested everything.. Both in VM machines and on a real machine.
Tested nas platforms: Nexentastor, nas4free, freenas, openmediavault.
Tested linux platforms: Debian, ubuntu, open solaris, open indiana.

Test system is:
E6600 CPU Dual core
3 x 500 GB WD disks 7200 RPM
6 GB ram
Used onboard sata connectors

And the winner who perform many times better than the rest is. OPEN INDIANA. with 3 x 500 GB WD disks in Raidz1 Read/Write to the server maxed out 100 MB/s
Even on Virtual machines Openindiana is the winner with 60 MB/s Read/write

WHY spend so many days/nights on this. Cause I have bought a new server and my plan from start. was using windows 2012 server with storage spaces. But that is crap. So I decided to try ZFS Raidz. BUT very poor performance..

You CANT install a NAS OS. And setup raidz, and after that say, DAMN RAIDZ IS SLOW AND SUCK.
Cause NAS OS's really take it down.

So.

1. Install openindiana
2. install napp-it (A web interface to control your server, youtube napp-it for show off)
3. setup your server with the webinterface, just like a nas server.

bollar

Patron
And the winner who perform many times better than the rest is. OPEN INDIANA. with 3 x 500 GB WD disks in Raidz1 Read/Write to the server maxed out 100 MB/s

OI / OmniOS / Solaris 11, etc. are extremely powerful solutions, especially when combined with napp-it. But to be fair, they really do require technical know-how well beyond what is required to run FreeNAS, especially if you're using hardware only peripherally supported by SunOS.

reb00tas

Dabbler
Hello I can over 10 days I have tested everything.. Both in VM machines and on a real machine.
Tested nas platforms: Nexentastor, nas4free, freenas, openmediavault.
Tested linux platforms: Debian, ubuntu, open solaris, open indiana.

Test system is:
E6600 CPU Dual core
3 x 500 GB WD disks 7200 RPM
6 GB ram
Used onboard sata connectors

WHY spend so many days/nights on this. Cause I have bought a new server and my plan from start. was using windows 2012 server with storage spaces. But that is crap. So I decided to try ZFS Raidz. BUT very poor performance..

You CANT install a NAS OS. And setup raidz, and after that say, DAMN RAIDZ IS SLOW AND SUCK.
Cause NAS OS's really take it down.

So.

1. Install openindiana
2. install napp-it (A web interface to control your server, youtube napp-it for show off)
3. setup your server with the webinterface, just like a nas server.

UPDATE: Here I got openindiana installed with napp-it webinterface. On my new build server just finished building it. I just used 4 old disks for testing.
My setup is: 4 x OLD 500 GB WD /seagate disks. Setup as Raidz2.
I transfer about 15 GB file. And here is the result.
f9elk.png

reb00tas

Dabbler
OI / OmniOS / Solaris 11, etc. are extremely powerful solutions, especially when combined with napp-it. But to be fair, they really do require technical know-how well beyond what is required to run FreeNAS, especially if you're using hardware only peripherally supported by SunOS.

Well thats true. I ran into some problems with my new server. On the old i could just install openindiana. On my new server I had to disable unsupported onboard stuff before it would install. So. Had to disable USB3 controller. Dosnt matter its a server and got alot of USB 2 :) And had to disable Onboard Marvell sata ports. But there is 8 And 2 of them is marvell controlled. So now I got 6 :)

reb00tas

Dabbler
I just cant understand sooooo many people talk about poor performance.. And how to tweak and wich disks and someone is about to replace disks for performance.. here i got full performance with 4 old disks :D

And os you see in the top right. the disk icon is yellow. So they can handle more load :)

reb00tas

Dabbler
bollar. Can a zfs pool be expanded..
I mean by replacing disks with bigger ones ? 1 by 1

cyberjock

Inactive Account
bollar. Can a zfs pool be expanded..
I mean by replacing disks with bigger ones ? 1 by 1

There's a sticky in the noob section(same place as this thread) that answers that question. You should check it out....

bhilgenkamp

Dabbler
Well, to be fair reb00tas, it appears your network is the bottleneck, so of course your discs aren't being heavily taxed. The poor performance I talk about is what you consider good performance, so I guess we're just looking for different things.

Screen shot 2012-12-31 at 9.23.57 AM.jpg

reb00tas

Dabbler
Well, to be fair reb00tas, it appears your network is the bottleneck, so of course your discs aren't being heavily taxed. The poor performance I talk about is what you consider good performance, so I guess we're just looking for different things.

View attachment 1685

well you got very bad write "bursts".. and smaller reach bursts.

But right now yes, clients on the network is limited by to 1GB :)

Take a look on this benchmark. 4 Disks in Raidz2

Same write speed as you, if I got 12 disks I could get close to 1000 MB/s

12.580864 GB in 59s = 213.23 MB/s Write

12.580864 GB in 57.6s = 218.42 MB/s Read

4rs5eb.png

Well I just tried to find a solution there could use 1GB netcard 100%. and the only one with 4 disks is openindiana. And it seems its much faster than that :)

Status
Not open for further replies.