Pool went from 80% full to 99% in a few weeks

flyinfitz1

Explorer
Hi everyone,

First off, im in the process of increasing my pool storage from 4x3tb RAIDZ2 to 4x6tb RAIDZ2 but I have come across an issue. I recieved the customary alert that my storage was at 80% capacity. This was a few weeks ago. Since then the storage amount has increased from 80% to 99% as of today without adding much of anything as far as files go. Also, when i look at the pool in the GUI the total TB's used dont add up to the amount of storage the system says is being used. Any thoughts?

System: FreeNAS-11.3-U2

flyinfitz1

Explorer
Capture.PNG

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Do you have snapshots or anything like that? A common mistake is that you have snapshots enabled and then maybe move something big from one dataset to another, or copy instead of moving within a dataset.

flyinfitz1

Explorer
Do you have snapshots or anything like that? A common mistake is that you have snapshots enabled and then maybe move something big from one dataset to another, or copy instead of moving within a dataset.
I do. they automatically delete after two weeks. Im not sure that I did anything that would cause that much of an increase though. Ill check there though.

Heracles

Wizard
Hey Flyintfitz,

If you reserved some space for a dataset, that reserved space will me marked as used even when it is still empty. An empty dataset for which 1TB has been reserved will be measured as using 1 TB despite it actually contains 0.

flyinfitz1

Explorer
Hey Flyintfitz,

If you reserved some space for a dataset, that reserved space will me marked as used even when it is still empty. An empty dataset for which 1TB has been reserved will be measured as using 1 TB despite it actually contains 0.

I checked and it didnt look like I reserved any space on the data sets.

flyinfitz1

Explorer
so i made snapshots "visible" through SMB and it looks like there is over a TB of snapshot data. Can I just delete those or will it impact my data in any way? I didnt see an easy way in the GUI to delete all snapshots

Heracles

Wizard
Hi again Flyinfitz,

Should you delete your snapshots, you will just not have them anymore after that. But know that deleting a snapshot may not free you much space at the end. Should the content of Snapshot-A be referred to by Snapshot-B, to delete Snapshot-A will not free you space because that space will then be assigned to Snapshot-B. The same way, if B is referred to by C, to delete B will not free it and will just "switch" the content to C.

By deleting a snapshot, you free only whatever was unique to that snapshot and not related to any other one or to live data.