Pool Naming - DCHP Issues resolved by understanding casestyle

thefonz106

Cadet
First time poster, long time lurker.

This post is really for anyone having trouble installing Jails and plugins and who are receiving a DHCP Runtime error around 50%. With my first build, I ran my iocage set within my regular "mechanical" mirror (note the quotes). Years later, I thought it would be a good idea to upgrade my system with some small SSDs and store my plex data alone on my mechanical pool. The idea being to store iocage on the SSDs and the bulk of my media on spinning platters. Upon installing the SSDs and creating a "Solid State" mirror pool, I noticed I couldn't complete the install and continuously ran into a DHCP runtime error. Searching far and wide, I found solutions for almost everything related, except my situation.

Moving forward, I tried two NVMe drives (named "NVMe") in a mirror pool, and it worked. I then scratched my head why my installation would complete on a NVMe set, and not my SSD set, and of course why it worked on my old mechanical pool.

Long Story Short; Its the naming convention of the pools. I tried a "laptop HDD" and realized I was creating pools with spaces in their names and the build scripts wouldn't know to wrap the text in quotes to complete the installation. It was then I realized, tested, and confirmed "Mechanical", "NVMe", "Solid_State", and "Laptop_HDD" all worked. Whatever your naming convention is Dont put spaces in your pool names