Pool lost disks after crash of power supply

c.fuhrmann

Dabbler
Hi,
I got a pool "NAS" with 4 disks (da1, da2, da3, da4).
Two days ago I got the message:
New alerts:
* Pool NAS state is UNKNOWN:
Current alerts:
* Update Train EOL Reached
* Pool NAS state is UNKNOWN:

Some hours later the NAS was gone. Inspection showed: Power supply is off. And could not be started again.
So I installed a new power supply.

After starting I saw that my pool "NAS" has no disks no more.

In "Storage -> Disks" I can see all my disks. The formerly disk-allocation shows now: Name: da1, Pool: Unused (!), etc. (da2 to da4)

How do I "connect" the disks back to the pool without distroying the data on it?

Happy about help
Chris

jgreco

Resident Grinch
What size power supply are you using for this?

c.fuhrmann

Dabbler
Now a standard PC power supply 700W, 340W output at 12V.
How does the size of power supply depend on how to connect a "los" disk into a pool?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
It's not uncommon for people to be using undersized PSU's, which can cause pools to fail, which is why I wrote the Proper Power Supply Sizing Guide.

Part of getting your system back up and running is to make sure you're not setting yourself up to fail again. You can actually do permanent damage to your disks (rendering the data permanently gone).

c.fuhrmann

Dabbler
Ok - the system has run for more than 3 years without problems. And the former system very similar did it for more than 5 years. I think, the original power supply was at the end of life.
And reading your Guide I think a 340W at 12V supply is ok for 4 WD-HDDs and one SSD. How do you think?

And if you agree with my power supply - than the main question is: Ho do I "connect" the drives to their pool again?

JaimieV

Guru
Can you detail your system please?
The error "* Update Train EOL Reached" suggests you're on a very old version of FreeNAS.

Is your PSU three or eight years old? Is it a solid name brand or random "700W" no-name? If it's a decent one, 700W is certainly plenty - you're likely to be using less than 100W.

c.fuhrmann

Dabbler
Yes, I got a very old system of FreeNAS - sorry! I didn't find time for updating last months...

I got a
FreeNAS 11-2-U8 running on
  • Intel Xeon E3-1220v6 (4*3,00 GHz) So 1151 with / on the main board
  • Z!MB ASRock C236 WSI and
  • 16 GB Hynix HMA82GU6AFR8N DDR4 RAM
all hardware very old from Feb 2019. After buying this in Feb. 19 I installed everything new, last updates Feb. 2020,
as a VM-machine
on an ESXi 6.7.0.

FreeNAS is running and reporting now, that "NAS is offline, not running scrub ".
So - my essential problem is, who to get the drives (da1, etc.) into the pool "NAS" back again without loosing the data.

Should I update to FreeNAS 11.3? Makes this the operation to include the drives into the pool again easier? I don't trust to do so myself. I thought it is better to let the system so, as it was, when it "lost" the disks....

c.fuhrmann

Dabbler
Oh shit - I knew that this question will come.
I'm not shure, what I did. I'm shure, that the data are double saved. But is this "mirror" or "RAID"? Where do I find this information?

When installing the system I think I entered "Import disk(s)" and added the 4 disks (2*1,8 TB, 2*3,8TB) to the pool.

Bikerchris

Patron
I have less than 1% of the knowledge of many on here, but perhaps you have 2 x mirrors (a 1.8TB mirror and 3.8TB mirror). You should wait until someone with more experience makes a suggestion, but I would try to import one pair of same sized disks and see what happens.

c.fuhrmann

Dabbler
When I try to import the disks into the pool (Storage - Import disk), than I get the options for the file system of the disk: UFS, NTFS, MSDOSFS, EXT2FS.
The disks are in ZFS.
So this seems to me not to be the right way....

And: Yes, I think also I got "Mirror". But I'm not really shure about...

Bikerchris

Patron
Have you tried unplugging all drives except for one and trying an import? If you're lucky, it might even be a cable problem.

c.fuhrmann

Dabbler
Yes - importing was the first thing, I tried. But as written up here,
when I try to import the disks into the pool (Storage - Import disk), than I get the options for the file system of the disk: UFS, NTFS, MSDOSFS, EXT2FS.
The disks are in ZFS.

Scharbag

Guru
You are using ESXI. How are you passing the disks into the VM? This should be done with some sort of hardware passthrough that needs VT-d. Please let us know.

Also, could you post the output of zpool status?

Cheers,

Bikerchris

Patron
Yes - importing was the first thing, I tried. But as written up here,
when I try to import the disks into the pool (Storage - Import disk), than I get the options for the file system of the disk: UFS, NTFS, MSDOSFS, EXT2FS.
The disks are in ZFS.
Ah, only just noticed the VM mounting, I would certainly suggest responding to @Scharbag comment.

c.fuhrmann

Dabbler
"You are using ESXI. How are you passing the disks into the VM? This should be done with some sort of hardware passthrough that needs VT-d. "
I hope this picture shows what you need:
1605779175359.png

The other HDDs are similar "plugged" into the FreeNAS-machine.

The storage in ESXi for this HDD is:

1605779301458.png

This system worked very well the last years...

"Also, could you post the output of zpool status?"
I hope this is what you need:
1605782432981.png

Chris Fuhrmann

Attachments

• 1605782325911.png
    1605782325911.png
    33.1 KB · Views: 139

sretalla