Pool Got Exported After Reboot

moron101

Dabbler
Hi,

Trouble started when my apps failed to initialize after a reboot. Subsequent reboot got me into this pickle (see below). My question is can I import back my drives? The GUI doesn't allow it (or I'm doing it wrong)? Trying to get my "MainPool" back online. (Ignore the n/a drives as they are not utilized). A million thx in advance.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

moron101

Dabbler
Hi,

Trouble started when my apps failed to initialize after a reboot. Subsequent reboot got me into this pickle (see below). My question is can I import back my drives? The GUI doesn't allow it (or I'm doing it wrong)? Trying to get my "MainPool" back online. (Ignore the n/a drives as they are not utilized). A million thx in advance.

View attachment 77291
View attachment 77292
View attachment 77293

Or was I supposed to add (using the button show below) the disks into existing pool? (in order to import it)? Forgive me in advance if my questions appear assinine as I'm a newbie and a casual user. Many thx in advance.
1712080338969.png

joeschmuck

Old Man
First question, what version of SCALE are you using?
Second Question, what version were you using when you Exported the pool?

There have been some quirky things going on in SCALE, hopefully you are not one of the people who got it too.

moron101

Dabbler
First question, what version of SCALE are you using?
Second Question, what version were you using when you Exported the pool?

There have been some quirky things going on in SCALE, hopefully you are not one of the people who got it too.
I'm on this version: TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.2 (Haven't changed version)

Unfortunately, I didn't explicitly export my pool. It disappeared after my reboot (I initiated when my apps wouldn't initialize) only to show up in this state when the computer came back online... :-(

moron101

Dabbler
More information. This is what I see when I type "zpool import". And here is my system information:

4 (1).jpg

OS Version:TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.2
Product:C7Q67
Model:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Memory:11 GiB
System Serial:321206114001

A lot of drives: 4 in a one DAS, 4 in another DAS, 11 inside computer tower -- all SATA.

Any help in getting my disconnect drives back will be greatly appreciated. Thx a bundle.

farout

Dabbler
How are the 2 DAS connected ? What kind of controller card are you using ? If its some sort of port multiplier, you are asking for trouble...

Last edited:

chuck32

Guru
Don't disregard the question about the connection method.

Do not use add to pool, your drives belong to their pool, you just want to import it.

As per your output, it says there the pool can be imported by name or ID

zpool import MainPool or use the ID.

farout

Dabbler
I saw now in your other thread, what kind of hardware you are using. This setup with dodgy port multipliers is a no-go and might very well be the source of all your problems.
Even if you get the pool re-imported, you wont be safe from it happening again.
I wouldnt be storing any semi-important data on a setup like this.
There are LSI/ Broadcom HBAs with external connections. The "e" variants. But I doubt, that you can hook up your DAS to these.
You can passthrough the port multipliers and the connected discs to a Windows VM and set up a disc array inside windows that you can then share over the network. This way you can atleast use the hardware you have.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

moron101

Dabbler
I saw now in your other thread, what kind of hardware you are using. This setup with dodgy port multipliers is a no-go and might very well be the source of all your problems.
Even if you get the pool re-imported, you wont be safe from it happening again.
I wouldnt be storing any semi-important data on a setup like this.
There are LSI/ Broadcom HBAs with external connections. The "e" variants. But I doubt, that you can hook up your DAS to these.
You can passthrough the port multipliers and the connected discs to a Windows VM and set up a disc array inside windows that you can then share over the network. This way you can atleast use the hardware you have.
I'm using a port multiplier through and through. 2 inside my rig that direct connects to HDs housed in my tower via SATA cables. Then I have another port mulitplier that have an external SATA connected to 2 DAS.

Click below for info on the units:

Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
What does the extra argument do? Thx.
It makes the root dataset of the pool mount at /mnt/<poolname> instead of /<poolname>, which would be horribly out of place in TrueNAS.

moron101

Dabbler
And if I was to replace my x2 port internal port multiplers (click here), which of these HBAs do you guys recommend?

One
Two
Three

p/s Since they're all 8 port (w/ the 1 into 4 cable), I'll be plugging in my remaining 3 drives directly into my motherboard's SATA ports. That ok?
pp/s Coulnd't find an HBA w/ external eSATA ports on Amazon. :-(

Love to hear everyone's thoughts. Thx a mil in advance.

farout

Dabbler
Get a LSI SAS 9300-8i - they have them on Amazon or ebay. I got all my gear from ebay (china seller with top ratings).
The card then needs to be updated with the special firmware. See here: https://www.truenas.com/community/r...=123088916.10.1712149287892&__hsfp=2423089165

I recommend that you strap a 40mm fan to the card, as it will get too hot if not installed in a server case with forced airflow.

You can combine sata onboard discs with discs from the HBA.

moron101

Dabbler
Get a LSI SAS 9300-8i - they have them on Amazon or ebay. I got all my gear from ebay (china seller with top ratings).
The card then needs to be updated with the special firmware. See here: https://www.truenas.com/community/r...=123088916.10.1712149287892&__hsfp=2423089165

I recommend that you strap a 40mm fan to the card, as it will get too hot if not installed in a server case with forced airflow.

You can combine sata onboard discs with discs from the HBA.
Thx a bundle, looks like your recommendation supports more drives/ports. Just confirming this is the model and that I need it to be in "IT Mode" and I need to flash it? Click here <-- this the one you're talking about? This is a pricey endeavor reusing my old pc. lol

Very grateful here. :smile:

Stux

MVP
The nice thing with the 9300 is it uses PCIe3x4 for the uplink, so it only needs 4x pcie lanes for max bandwidth... and it uses 12gbps SAS for the the SAS links, so with databolt, you can get up to about 8GB/s out of it.

What this means is that you can then use SAS expanders to access more than 8 drives. for example... you could use a 28 port expander and use 24 drives... with a full 8x uplink to to the HBA, eg move your motherboard into a supermicro case... with a 24 bay expander.

Nicely future proof... at least when it comes to spinning rust.

And yes... TrueNAS/ZFS doesn't care if the drives are connected via motherboard sata or via HBA SAS/SATA, as long as they are directly connected and not tunnelled through some RAID protocol etc.

farout

Dabbler
Thx a bundle, looks like your recommendation supports more drives/ports. Just confirming this is the model and that I need it to be in "IT Mode" and I need to flash it? Click here <-- this the one you're talking about? This is a pricey endeavor reusing my old pc. lol

Very grateful here. :smile:
This is the 16i that supports 16 drives. It gets very hot and needs a big fan strapped to it. And yes, this one also needs to be flashed with the firmware from my link. You need to use the "-fwall" command to flash both controllers.
Also this one needs external power if installed in a pcie slot that doesnt support >25 watts. I would recommend the 8i variant.

moron101

Dabbler
This is the 16i that supports 16 drives. It gets very hot and needs a big fan strapped to it. And yes, this one also needs to be flashed with the firmware from my link. You need to use the "-fwall" command to flash both controllers.
Also this one needs external power if installed in a pcie slot that doesnt support >25 watts. I would recommend the 8i variant.
Kewl, I'll let everyone know how I made out. Made the purchase. Thank you so much for all your time and effort in assisting a newbie on this! :-D