Podcatcher on FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

darrenbest

Dabbler
Hi, I currently subscribe to and download a fair number of podcasts, both video and audio. Currently, I use Windows podcatching app (Juice) and save the files to my FreeNAS box (which is mapped to a drive letter on the Windows box). From there I can serve the files around my network.

Of course, this means that I have two machines running 24/7. I'd like to be able to take the Windows machine out of the equation.

Are there any solutions for podcatching on FreeNAS / FreeBSD that can be run in "GUI-like" fashion?

darrenbest

Dabbler
Thanks for the reply. I read that Wikipedia article, and I guess I should have been more thorough when I said "GUI-like". What I meant was a web-based interface, much like is provided for the Transmission plugin, or FreeNAS's own admin interface.

Miro and Clementine are desktop apps, which won't work since I don't even have a monitor or keyboard connected to my FreeNAS box, nevermind X or a desktop environment. Armangil's podcatcher is a command-line tool which I suppose I can use, but I was hoping for something a bit more user-friendly than busting out an SSH session and remembering command-line syntax everytime I want to add or change a podcast subscription.

Any other ideas for FreeNAS? I wish I were I coder, so I could make a plugin myself, but I am amazed that after doing a search on this forum, no one else has ever wanted this feature.

D

dlavigne

I'm assuming that Juice meets your needs as it is the one that you indicated originally?

It needs to be ported to FreeBSD first. To start that ball rolling, please create a port request using the instructions at http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/PBI_Requests. Then add Juice to the table with a link to the port request.

If that's not what you're aiming for and you do find an app that suits your needs, let us know which one it is.

Whattteva

Wizard
Any other ideas for FreeNAS? I wish I were I coder, so I could make a plugin myself, but I am amazed that after doing a search on this forum, no one else has ever wanted this feature.
Lol, I'm guessing the FreeNAS crowd in general is not big on podcasts (at least not me).
I think we typically just torrent everything. That seems to be the most asked question (transmission).

Status
Not open for further replies.