Plugins and VM, crash (randomly) and need restart

fervity

Cadet
Hi everyone! Happy to be part of this community!

I want to tell you about my current problem with TRUENAS ... almost every day, my VM and my plugins crash, but they keep running. I did different tests, and I look at the logs, but I don't find any errors. Previously I had FREENAS and never had these problems, the settings are the same. When I went to TRUENAS, I did it from a new and totally clean installation, with no data.

For example, my VM has windows 10, 4GB RAM and it only has one VISUALFOX application installed and RDP enabled. About the plugins, I have 6 installed (PLEX, JACKETT, RADARR, SONARR, TRANSMISSION & DELUGE). Perform the test by disabling all plugins and VM, leaving only the PLEX and the same thing happens, maybe in a day it falls twice, or maybe it does not fall for 2 days. So I don't see that it is a memory or data transfer problem.

I end up solving it temporarily, when I go to PLUGINS, and then click on RESTART, and whatever plugin it is, it works again until it crashes again.

Similar happens when it is with the VM, but sometimes even if I turn off the VM, I need to restart the TRUENAS so that it can work properly (this is only with the VM).

My TRUENAS is an i5 3400, 16GM RAM, 1HD 320 (boot TRUENAS), 1HD 1TB (plugins), and 2 HD 8TB with data for PLEX.

Thank you very much in advance.

PD: sorry for my english

joeschmuck

Old Man
Exactly which version of TrueNAS are you running? Also, if you are running the Alpha, Beta, or RC, you can expect bugs. There is a bug tracker you can report bugs so they get fixed.

fervity

Cadet
Sorry, i forget this info: TrueNAS-12.0-RC1

My doubt is whether this error is common, because I don't see that anyone had it. Yes, I saw something similar in Freenas, but I couldn't fix it with those options.

Thanks for you fast reply

joeschmuck

Old Man
Instead of using plugins you might try to create a jail and perform a manual installation of the software to run, see how that works. But with RC1 comes issues and it's possible you are experiencing those. Take a look at your swap space, what size is it? Anything more than a zero value is not good, high values is terrible and means you need more RAM. I still suspect most of your problems are bugs in RC1. You should formally report them via the bug reporting system.

fervity

Cadet
Yes, I also tried creating JAIL and installing from there (for example with the jackett, it was the only way to make it work).

My SWAP is 2GB (default) and for example now that I am using PLEX and the VM (one person connected) of the SWAP only uses 352M, but if I have the VM and the PLEX (when crash) without working, the SWAP is 1780M . I attach both screenshots.

But surely it is as you say, it is an RC1 problem and I must report it.

Thanks again

Attachments

• Captura de Pantalla 2020-10-06 a la(s) 12.55.09.png
    Captura de Pantalla 2020-10-06 a la(s) 12.55.09.png
    954.8 KB · Views: 193
  • Captura de Pantalla 2020-10-06 a la(s) 12.56.42.png
    Captura de Pantalla 2020-10-06 a la(s) 12.56.42.png
    349 KB · Views: 191
  • Captura de Pantalla 2020-10-06 a la(s) 13.43.49.png
    Captura de Pantalla 2020-10-06 a la(s) 13.43.49.png
    110.3 KB · Views: 183

joeschmuck

Old Man
Something is happening causing you to use up all your RAM and forcing SWAP space to be used, and I wouldn't be surprised if you actually ran out of SWAP space as well, although I can't say that with 100% certainty. I can't explain why you would run out of RAM. I'd recommend that you turn off all of your jails and VMs, ensure FreeNAS runs without using any SWAP space (Used < 300M) and let it run for a while. If SWAP space stays at zero (it should be zero or close to zero if you have nothing extra running), then turn on Plex and see how it goes, look at the SWAP information again. If all is good then turn the next plugin and continue on until your find your SWAP space if being used. If you find something then turn off that plugin and ensure the SWAP returns to zero, this could take some time so a faster way would be to reboot the system.

If you identify the issue, I'd recommend reporting it as a bug if it warrants it.

Good Luck

fervity

Cadet
Yeah, its true. Also run that test, and it varies. The strange thing is that I started to have this error, with the new update of RC1. I already sent my error (bug) to support. I think I will have to downgrade to FREENAS, the problem will be the compatibility with the POOLS, but I dont see another option to solve it in a near time. I thought the TRUENAS was pretty stable.

Thanks again for all your immediate responses.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I thought the TRUENAS was pretty stable.
The paid version is but also the paid version is more in line with corporate users, not home users. The change of FreeNAS to TrueNAS is new and it will be free for the same types of features you have now with FreeNAS. You should read up on what iXsystems is doing with this software and the naming.

Also you are using the Release Candidate which is not the final version for what you are using, meaning while it would be nice if it were bug free then it could become the Release version, it rarely is the case where we don't see a few RC's, such as RC2 and possibly RC3 before the final version comes out. A lot of factors go into it. I use to be an early adopter and would troubleshoot the problems I could find but I've done my fair share and it's not as exciting as it once was, so I only run testing versions on a VM and then generally just to see what it looks like and possibly to help someone. So my advice is to wait until TrueNAS 12 comes out in it's final version, until then use FreeNAS.

fervity

Cadet
Yes, I totally agree. I've been using FREENAS for years and I won't change it for anything, except in the future for TRUENAS ;)

Thanks again for your time and I hope that my experience serves someone.