Plugin/iocage/network issue

bbenz3

Explorer
I have been attempting to fix my Plex Media Server plugin but I can't seem to get the networking out of the jail to operate properly. I am running FreeNAS 11.2-U1 on an ESXi server. The VM has been provisioned with 4 vCPUs (L5640) and 8GB memory. This has worked before in older versions of FreeNAS over the last two years. I have tried everything I can think of to include reinstalling FreeNAS 11.2-U1 from scratch and then trying to install the Plex plugin. I can't seem to use DHCP at all anymore and when I hardcode the IP it appears to partially work but once inside of the Plex Server it is apparent that the jail doesn't actually have outside access as the artwork will not update for any of the movies listed.

bbenz3

Explorer
So I have now attempted to reinstall the OS a few times and even made an attempt to use 11.1-U7 along with upgrading to 11.3 nightly. Nothing is working out. So in a last ditch effort I built the 11.2-U1 in a VM on my main box and it worked just fine. I thought maybe the issue was I had leftovers from my previous installs on my data pool so I just finishing testing that and still get a networking error stating DHCP request not answered. So the next test I am running is to see if the issue is with the E1000 virtual nic. I have changed it to VMXNET 3 and then performed a fresh install of 11.2-U1. No go on that as well. I don't know what else to try.

To summarize it works inside a new local VM on Desktop computer. It doesn't work on ESXi server. Here is the exact error that I get:
Install
[EFAULT] Exception: RuntimeError: + Acquiring DHCP address: FAILED, address received: 0.0.0.0/8 Stopped plex due to DHCP failure occured, destroyed plex.

Last edited:

bbenz3

Explorer
Were you able to resolve this?
Yes someone in another thread pointed me to the vswitch needing to have promiscuous mode and allow mac spoofing.

bbenz3

Explorer
That would be a good thing.

bbenz3

Explorer
I've opened PR 788 and PR 789 to add this instruction to the FreeNAS User Guide.
I looked at what was added referencing the vswitch and that was only half of it. In my case the vswitch was already configured correctly but my port group was not so you might want to at least make a note to ensure both options are enable on the port group the VM is connected to in addition to the vswitch (vswitch must be done first then the port group).