Plugin Best Practises Questions

Randy Smyth

Dabbler
I have just recently upgraded from FreeNAS 11.3 to TrueNAS 12.0, and most of the plugins I have used to be wardens jails, then upgraded to Iocage, then after the 11.3 to 12.0 upgrade I've upgraded all my Iocage jails to 12.1 or 12.2 if available. Ive used Freenas for years but am still a complete noob when trying to get everything working.

Questions :
1) with all that plugin/jail upgrading, even though they work, should I be doing a fresh install of Iocage plugins ?

2) is there an easy way to migrate the data and configs from radarr, sonarr, plex, emby so I dont lose all my history?

3) When I first started, I used plugins, then was advised its better to create jail and manually install, what's current best practices ?

4) starting a new plugin now defaults to NAT instead of DHCP. Nat sounds interesting but I'd hate to start fresh with 8 new jails (sonarr, emby, plex, radarr, transmission, etc) and find out 2 months from now I should have gone DHCP if I choose NAT or vice versa.

5) Nextcloud, plex, emby would be the 3 that I need outside access for, does that impact the answer for nat/dhcp ?

6) VPN, I've never been successful in trying to add vpn abilities to certain jails, is there a current best way to have some plugins use VPN ?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions

ThreeDee

Guru
..as far as #3 .. best practice is manually creating yourself .. easier to keep up to date and usually almost just as easy to create/setup as where the plugins.

I was a plugin user/tweaker .. but my OCD got the better of me when I couldn't update my jails to 12.2 because the plugins where locked to 11.3 and 12.1 (UniFi controller and Plex) .. now that's no longer an issue and I can finally sleep at night :grin: