Plugin and jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

giacombum

Explorer
Hi all, I'm trying to understand the Freenas behaviour with plugins and jails; let me know if I've got the point: a plugin runs into a jail.
Freenas makes one jail by default for official plugins, right? What I haven't understood is where the jail (and therefore the official plugins) will be installed: can I specify a path outside my raidz? For example another usb drive (I've planned to have two separate usb drives for system installation)? And approximately how much disk space a plugin can need?

I'm sorry if I've written some (or a lot) of mistakes.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What I haven't understood is where the jail (and therefore the official plugins) will be installed
Wherever you set it to be.

can I specify a path outside my raidz? For example another usb drive
You could, but do you want to? Sure, you can have a separate jails pool, but what do you gain? You need to ensure some measure of reliability for this second pool (either directly or via backups) and a USB flash drive is going to be rather painful, like it is for the OS - except that most jails are going to be more intense workloads than the FreeNAS OS, which only writes on installs, updates and config changes.

And approximately how much disk space a plugin can need?
Well, that depends on the software.

Status
Not open for further replies.