Plex won't update

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigB

Explorer
When viewing photos on Plex on my Samsung TV they stream blurry. After about 20 seconds they pictures look fine. On another Samsung TV then just show up as thumbnails so I presume the blurriness is from the TV enlarging the small thumbnail. I was hoping to fix it by updating the latest version of Plex from 0.9.12.1.1079 but after hitting the update button under installed plugins it stops afte 50 % and turns off the plugin.

Jun 27 17:49:46 freenas smbd[21827]: STATUS=daemon 'smbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connectionsava-358795 (ipv4:192.168.1.11:62724) closed connection to service SABnzbd Movies
Jun 27 18:00:01 freenas autosnap.py: [tools.autosnap:70] Popen()ing: /sbin/zfs snapshot "v1@auto-20150627.1800-2w"
Jun 27 18:00:01 freenas autosnap.py: [tools.autosnap:70] Popen()ing: /sbin/zfs get -H freenas:state "v1@auto-20150613.1800-2w"
Jun 27 18:00:01 freenas autosnap.py: [tools.autosnap:70] Popen()ing: /sbin/zfs destroy -r -d "v1@auto-20150613.1800-2w"
Jun 27 18:23:28 freenas smbd[33088]: STATUS=daemon 'smbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connectionsava-358795 (ipv4:192.168.1.11:55244) closed connection to service SABnzbd Movies
Jun 27 18:28:04 freenas smbd[33331]: STATUS=daemon 'smbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connectionsava-358795 (ipv4:192.168.1.11:56256) closed connection to service SABnzbd Movies
Jun 27 19:00:13 freenas smbd[35335]: STATUS=daemon 'smbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connectionsFailed to fetch record!
Jun 27 19:09:40 freenas smbd[35466]: STATUS=daemon 'smbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connectionsava-358795 (ipv4:192.168.1.11:49890) closed connection to service SABnzbd Movies
Jun 27 19:23:16 freenas smbd[36725]: STATUS=daemon 'smbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connectionsava-358795 (ipv4:192.168.1.11:55916) closed connection to service SABnzbd Movies
Jun 27 19:27:40 freenas smbd[36728]: STATUS=daemon 'smbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connectionsava-358795 (ipv4:192.168.1.11:55971) closed connection to service SABnzbd Movies
Jun 27 19:45:52 freenas smbd[37972]: STATUS=daemon 'smbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connectionsFailed to fetch record!
Jun 27 19:49:02 freenas smbd[38303]: STATUS=daemon 'smbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connectionsFailed to fetch record!
Jun 27 19:57:15 freenas afpd[38809]: Login by Shayna (AFP3.4)
Jun 27 20:10:19 freenas afpd[38809]: afp_zzz: entering extended sleep
Jun 27 20:26:46 freenas manage.py: [common.pipesubr:70] Popen()ing: /sbin/umount -f '/mnt/v1/jails/plexmediaserver_1/media'
Jun 27 20:26:46 freenas manage.py: [common.pipesubr:70] Popen()ing: /sbin/umount -f '/mnt/v1/jails/plexmediaserver_1/media/Series'
Jun 27 20:26:46 freenas manage.py: [middleware.exceptions:38] [MiddlewareError: umount: /mnt/v1/jails/plexmediaserver_1/media/Series: not a file system root directory

diedrichg

Wizard
I believe what you are describing is simply the automatic quality streaming giving you a picture that is blurry and then as soon as it has buffered enough you get the full-res image. This is normal on slow connections.

I'd suggest stopping Plex first in the gui and then press the update button.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I would suggest not using the update button at all and update your PMS manually. I've been running my Plex plugin with manual updates for 8 months without issue. It' doesn't display the correct version in the GUI but I could care less about that. Follow these instructions:

1. Login with SSH to your FreeNAS (or alternatively go to shell in WebGUI)

2. type: 'jls' (without ' ' ) and take the note of the # of jail of your Plex installation

3. type: jexec # csh' (where # is the number of the jail noted in last step)

4. type: fetch -o PMS_Updater.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mstinaff/PMS_Updater/master/PMS_Updater.sh

5. type: chmod 755 PMS_Updater.sh

6. type: ./PMS_Updater.sh -u PlexPass_User -p PlexPass_password -a

Once you have done this for the first time you can skip steps 4 and 5 on subsequent updates.

BigB

Explorer
Jailer:
Is this procedure only for plex pass users?
diedrichg:
1) I'm running the server to a gigabit switch to my gigabit router so I don't think speed of the connection is the problem.
2) I've tried to update after turn off the media server in the GUI and it still gives errors
Code:
Jun 28 00:09:44 freenas manage.py: [common.pipesubr:70] Popen()ing: /sbin/umount -f '/mnt/v1/jails/plexmediaserver_1/media/movies'
Jun 28 00:09:44 freenas manage.py: [middleware.exceptions:38] [MiddlewareError: umount: /mnt/v1/jails/plexmediaserver_1/media/movies: not a file system root directory

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Jailer:
Is this procedure only for plex pass users?
diedrichg:
1) I'm running the server to a gigabit switch to my gigabit router so I don't think speed of the connection is the problem.
2) I've tried to update after turn off the media server in the GUI and it still gives errors
Code:
Jun 28 00:09:44 freenas manage.py: [common.pipesubr:70] Popen()ing: /sbin/umount -f '/mnt/v1/jails/plexmediaserver_1/media/movies'
Jun 28 00:09:44 freenas manage.py: [middleware.exceptions:38] [MiddlewareError: umount: /mnt/v1/jails/plexmediaserver_1/media/movies: not a file system root directory
Hmm this makes it sound like you have your jail mount points messed up. Can you post information about them?

BigB

Explorer
I not sure what you mean my jail mount points but here is all the info on my jail and storage for that jail
Jail Name: plexmediaserver_2
Type: pluginjailIPv4DHCP []
IPv4 : 192.168.1.151
IPv4 netmask: /24(255.255.255.0
Sysctls: allow.raw_sockets=true
Autostart: [+]
VIMAGE [+]
NAT []

Storage
Source: /mnt/v1/broadcast/Photos
Destination /media/photos
Create Destination [+]
Mounted [+]

/mnt/v1/media/videos/movies
/media/movies
Create Destination [+]
Mounted [+]

/mnt/v1/media/videos/tvshows
/media/tvshows
Create Destination [+]
Mounted [+]

/mnt/v1/broadcast/Home Movies
/media/homemovies
Create Destination [+]
Mounted [+]

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
The info you posted above doesn't match the error message. You jail is labled "plexmediaserver_2" and the error is referencing "plexmediaserver_1".

Do you have 2 instances of plex installed? If not it looks like you have some left behinds of an old plex install that causing your error.

joeschmuck

Old Man
For the OP, what you are describing is normal behavior, 20 seconds to load a photo sounds normal if the file sizes are large. Did it work better ever for you and if so, compare the file sizes to see if there is a difference. So other than you having a failed update (not a big surprise) I don't see any other issue.

If you still feel you have a Plex issue, please post.

Addressing some comments above...
It appears you have installed Plex more than once as previously indicated. Ensure you disable one of them if for some reason you plan to run two instances of it, so lets get one working first.

As mentioned before, quality control is a factor. Just because you have gigabit throughout doesn't mean your TV is and they typically are not. Also there are quality settings in the Plex setup, look for them.

BigB

Explorer
I decided to install the latest version of plex thru to GUI and updated my storage settings and deleted the old copy to get the update. I was hoping to learn if I setup something incorrectly by posting my settings. I'm surprised to learn that pictures 1600x1600 stress plex more that 1080P.
As for quality settings on my Plex it's set to automatic would another setting work better?

joeschmuck

Old Man
What are the file size (approx) and format (GIF, JPG, BMP, etc...) of your photos?

Also, have you ruled out your TV as the fault? You said it was a Samsung TV? Try using DLNA vice Plex to rule out Plex. Do you have a Roku or Bluray player and have tried to use one of those devices?

And how does a video/movie play over Plex?

BigB

Explorer
They are all JPGs 700k-1400k, exported as 1600 in the largest dimension which was my impression to give the best quality on the TV screen. Videos play great over the Plex to the same TV no hesiation.

BigB

Explorer
joeschmuck: FYI when I use the DLNA server on my windows machine the same size files look great streaming to the TV immediately.

joeschmuck

Old Man
joeschmuck: FYI when I use the DLNA server on my windows machine the same size files look great streaming to the TV immediately.

So you are streaming from your windows machine to the same TV using DLNA and displaying the same photos. What about streaming your files from Plex DLNA on your NAS to your TV? Plex has a built in DLNA server. It should work just as speedy. If it works fine then it's possible your TV does not have enough horsepower to stream still images quickly using the Plex application so you will need to use DLNA instead to gain the speed you desire. If it fails to work fine then maybe there is a network limitation, but i can't say for certain since I have no idea how your network is configured. Another test you can do is install a Plex server on your windows machine and see what happens. Lets say Plex on your windoze machine works fine, then either you have a network issue or your FreeNAS machine doesn't have enough CPU power to do Plex well.

So more testing is needed to rule out possible problems.

BigB

Explorer
Streaming with DLNA from my windows computer to the TV photos come up immediately full size. I created a folder with the same pictures at 800x800 pixels ~250-500KB and got the same issue streaming from the PLEX on my NAS, thumbnail sized photos till about ~20 seconds later when the come on full size and continue to be full size till I go to another directory.
I not sure if I understand the difference between PLEX on the NAS and the built in DLNA server. On my plex server on freenas I have the option for Server/Settings/DLNA/enable the DLNA server checked.
There used to be a plugin for miniDLNA in the plugin section of Freenas. Where did it go and would that work better for streaming pictures?

BigB

Explorer
Mark,
I found your tutorial on miniDLNA installation and it works perfectly. The pictures stream to the TV perfectly at 1600x1600. Thank you. I still not sure what the advantage of Plex over DLNA is and I'm not clear on why plex can't handle the pictures. Will have to work on setting up plex on my windows machine, any tutorial your aware of?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Plex has it's advantages to transcode video on the fly to it will work on any device which has a Plex player. MiniDLNA is perfect for someone who has low CPU horsepower where they cannot transcode, or just do not want to transcode at all. When FreeNAS 8.01 hit the streets there wasn't any DLNA service so we would have to compile our own custom versions ourselves. It was a learning process. But between myself being a bit forceful and iXsystems, we had 2 versions of FreeNAS by 8.02, one without MiniDLNA (the normal build) and one available with MiniDLNA and no GUI to support MiniDLNA. When plugins started up we also had the MiniDLNA plugin and it was not very good and in FreeNAS 9.3 it got dropped. Now we need to resort to building it up ourselves again although let me tell you, it's much easier this time using the jails. So I'm glad the tutorial worked out for you and you had no issues.

As for your Plex issue, I still thing there is an adjustment you could make but I'm not a Plex expert. Mine works for video and I'm fine leaving it alone.

BigB

Explorer
For some strange reason if I create storage in the MiniDLNA jail where movies are located it doesn't see it.
Source:/mnt/v1/media/downloads/sabnzbd/complete/tv
Destination: /media or can it be /media/tv
Either one doesn't work. What am I missing. Thanks again for your help and Happy July 4th.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Hard to know what the issue is, could be a few items.

1) You are trying to use more than one share with a share (read my MiniDLNA installation thread, there are sharing issues with jails, not MiniDLNA specifically.) If this is your issue, the fix is to create subdirectories under /media such as /media/movies and /media/tv, then share to those specific directories, do not share to /media. MiniDLNA would still look in /media and just read all subdirectories.

2) The videos are not in the correct format.

It's likely the first item. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.