Plex plugin update rendered dataset mount unusable

Status
Not open for further replies.

oargerfakka

Cadet
Hey all,

I know that this is probably the millionth post on this topic but I'm kinda stuck here. I updated my server on the latest freeNAS 11 STABLE version today (coming from 9.3). After that I added some new media to my Plex library and noticed that the last.fm agent wasn't working. Plex prompted me to update the plugin, however I couldn't do that through the plugin interface since the devs hadn't pushed the update there as usual. Thinking that the update might fix my issue with the last.fm agent I proceeded anyway with updating the plugin directly from the shell (like [so](https://www.ceos3c.com/2016/08/27/manually-update-plex-freenas/)). Everything went fine, I restarted the jail and logged in again. I then quickly noticed that I wasn't able to browse my mounted dataset as usual. If I enter the path manually, I could get Plex to for example add a new library and scan it's contents, but I couldnt use the GUI to do that as usual. Another thing was that some files would play, while others wouldn't (stuck on the player's loading screen).

Checking through the shell I can manually enter the /media directory where my dataset is mounted and browse it's contents. The ls -l /mnt/ command however returns 0. Anyway, the dataset appears to be mounted correctly from the GUI. I also tried manually setting up a new Plex jail, no luck there, same issue. All this leads me to the conclusion that I somehow messed up my permissions, but sadly I don't know how to fix them now. If anyone could help me or point me into the right direction I would be extremely grateful!

LLeo

Dabbler
There are many other experts on here than myself so a grain of salt would be appropriate. But I ran into a similar situation. I have Freenas serving in a Win10 environment primarily. One of the Win updates (Creator, I believe) knocked out my system's ability to "see" the network through Explorer. Previously I could drag and drop between systems. After this, the FN icon would show up (occasionally!) but the "folder" was empty. (There are other posts that offer precise solutions to that problem!) I could work on both systems by IP address, ping, see the FN Web GUI, etc., i just couldn't see any thing from the "SMB" process.

Back to Plex. When I did update Plex as well as upped to FN 11 as you did, the Plex "Add Folder" process changed completely. Plex's interface defaulted to "/var/db/plexdata/Plex Media Server" instead of the familiar process. Through other posts, mapping the "/media/Folder Name" directly maps the Source to the jail, but I think you've figured that out.

I had mapping problems on a couple of folders which would never show up, probably having to do with the old Windows permissions I couldn't access anymore because of that update issue. I finally figured out that the only way I could remedy the Windows issue (rather than wait on Redmond!) was to FTP settling on Filezilla. With that little gem, I could once again see the FN file structure and navigate around. (I really suck at command line OS's.) I could also drag and drop between systems. So, since permissions seemed to be the issue on a couple of folders (plexmediaserver_1 did work fine on some folders), I decided to transport all my Plex data to an outboard drive connected to Win10 and start over. I ditched the FN Plex, its jail storage and re-installed whatever Plex version was in the repo, reset up the storage folders fresh, then imported all the data back to the appropriate folders in the jail with Filezilla. It took time but it worked like a charm!

I'm sure some of the other experts might have a better, faster way, but this is how I achieved the task. Since I'm more familiar with Windows gui procedures (Filezilla), I dreaded messing something up with the command line in FN dumping directly onto a drive.

I hope this helps somewhat. If unclear, let me know.

oargerfakka

Cadet
Thanks for your reply! The issue you have is exactly what I have as well. Sadly your solution isn't really applicable, not only because my volume is way to large to back it up somewhere else anyway. But still, good to know that I'm not the only one.

oargerfakka

Cadet
Ok, so after doing some more research this morning, this seems to be a Plex on freeNAS 11 problem. I wouldn't care as long as they would fix it in time, but the thing is that some of my files still refuse to play and that's unacceptable. Is there perhaps a safe way to roll back a release?

Last edited:

LLeo

Dabbler
I believe rolling back is possible but be warned! That's was part of my permissions debacle. I started Freenas with 9.3 when I set up my 100% working system. Later I upgraded to 9.10 without a problem. Then FN11 came along at about the same time Windows Creator Update and all the bad stuff began. In trying to solve the Plex issue, I tried rolling back to 9.10 but was having the same Plex "Add Folder" anomaly. It was downhill from that point whomever's fault it was. I noticed a Plex .mkv transcoding problem just recently, too. Be careful and more patient than me or you might create a worse mess rolling back.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/plex-mkv-file-transcoding-issues.57706/

Status
Not open for further replies.