Plex Pass Plugin Not Playing Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brad1961

Dabbler
Hi,
Help needed

First of all I would like to thank everyone that has helped me in the past.

I'm curious to see if anyone else has had issues with Plex not playing movies. My TV and music seems to be fine.
After some Google searches it seems some people are having issues with playing some of their movie files. MKV seems to be the worst, some of the solutions where to increase the size of the Temp transcode directory ( I hand a go at that but no success ) others have been subtitle issues.

I have posted looking for a solution in the Plex forum without any luck. Link Attached.

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/301278/play-back-errors#latest

like I said in the plex Forum I'm a bit of a n00b when it come to any kind of coding. I probably know enough to be dangerous to my Freenas machine

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Hi,
Help needed

First of all I would like to thank everyone that has helped me in the past.

I'm curious to see if anyone else has had issues with Plex not playing movies. My TV and music seems to be fine.
After some Google searches it seems some people are having issues with playing some of their movie files. MKV seems to be the worst, some of the solutions where to increase the size of the Temp transcode directory ( I hand a go at that but no success ) others have been subtitle issues.

I have posted looking for a solution in the Plex forum without any luck. Link Attached.

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/301278/play-back-errors#latest

like I said in the plex Forum I'm a bit of a n00b when it come to any kind of coding. I probably know enough to be dangerous to my Freenas machine
Are you using Plex as a "Plugin" or did you install it some other way? You need to give us a little more to go on. The first thing I notice is that you only have the bare minimum of memory and Plex is a memory hog. When did you setup your system? Did it ever work properly?

Brad1961

Dabbler
Hi Chris thanks for the quick response.

Yes Plex is installed as a "plugin"

Yes Plex has been working very well for the past two years ,only on a couple of occasions plex refused to transcode ( Play).

I Have recently updated plex to the latest "plugin" and the problem really started.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Hi Chris thanks for the quick response.

Yes Plex is installed as a "plugin"

Yes Plex has been working very well for the past two years ,only on a couple of occasions plex refused to transcode ( Play).

I Have recently updated plex to the latest "plugin" and the problem really started.
Is there a reason that you have not upgraded to FreeNAS 11.1?
I just upgraded to the "Plexmediaserver 1.10.1.4602" Plugin on my FreeNAS 11.1 and it never faltered.
What revision of the Plugin do you have?

Brad1961

Dabbler
That's a good point well made. just lazy I guess. I do agree with you I am testing the boundary of ZFS and "plugins"
I have decided to bite the bullet and build a new system as my old hardware is out of date.
I did some research on the recommended Hardware so I'll try and stick close to that.
I have a spare i7 processor so I'm off to buy an Intel motherboard tomorrow that supports 32Gig of ECC ram and 6 sata ports. I will get it up and running with the "plugins" I use and report back to this page. Hopefully the issue disappears and well will call it solved.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I have a spare i7 processor so I'm off to buy an Intel motherboard tomorrow that supports 32Gig of ECC ram

i7 CPU's don't support ECC memory.

I did some research on the recommended Hardware so I'll try and stick close to that.
Better do a bit more research.

Brad1961

Dabbler
yep I found that out so ditched the idea of ECC
ECC although highly recommended by ix systems, as server usually hold an enormous amount of critical data and to have that data available 24/7 is understandable.
my goal is a little different

ECC is more about importance of the data. If you store anything on the FreeNAS that you do not want to lose due to corruption then ECC is a very good idea.

And even with good backups or only storing media files the thought I go back to is "If it took me XXX number of hours to make the backups it will take me at least that long to restore." In the case of Movies being stored a single movie being transcoded to an MP4 takes my system about an hour at my chosen settings. With even a few hundred movies the time adds up very quickly.

But hey if all you have is some stuff you don't really care about go for it. I personally would rather not have something happen to anything I store on my FreeNAS no matter how unimportant it is.

Brad1961

Dabbler
Is there a reason that you have not upgraded to FreeNAS 11.1?
I just upgraded to the "Plexmediaserver 1.10.1.4602" Plugin on my FreeNAS 11.1 and it never faltered.
What revision of the Plugin do you have?

Well Chris looks the little push you gave me to update to FreeNAS 11.1 has done the trick.
for whatever reason i could not get my system to update from 9.3 to 11.1, so i did a complete clean install. Installed all my "plugins" again and bam plex has not missed a beat.
i used all of my old hardware and managed to find another 8 gigs of identical ram so that i have 16gs.
Thanks again for push.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Well Chris looks the little push you gave me to update to FreeNAS 11.1 has done the trick.
for whatever reason i could not get my system to update from 9.3 to 11.1, so i did a complete clean install. Installed all my "plugins" again and bam plex has not missed a beat.
i used all of my old hardware and managed to find another 8 gigs of identical ram so that i have 16gs.
Thanks again for push.
I am happy that worked out for you. I am enjoying the upgrade.

Patrick1227

Cadet
Thanks again for push.
How did you go about a clean install without loosing any data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
The data on your pool is separate from the installation and as such is not touched by an OS install.

As @Jailer said. Plus if you are too lazy to configure the FreeNAS you just export your old config and then import it into the new install.

Status
Not open for further replies.