PLEX install error

danb35

Hall of Famer
Do I need to create Media Folders in Plex and then copy the pictures into them?
You need to create a "Library" in Plex for whatever media it's going to serve, and point those libraries to the appropriate directories in the container.
Maybe I could put the documents in a read-only folder associated with a blog - then allow comments and questions, but not editing?
You'd still need some software to manage that. Plex could handle showing the documents, I think, but doesn't allow for commenting or questions. The Wiki software may allow for such a configuration. TinyCMS in Nextcloud might as well. Surely something like Wordpress or Joomla would; that's (part of) what they're designed for.
I was looking at the Payload CMS - it seems rather flexible and favors local hosting.
I'm not at all familiar with that software. If it calls itself a CMS, I'd say it's likely it could do that, but what it would take to get there I have no idea.

Edit: a Google search for "truecharts cms" finds mentions of ghost and strapi, both of which are said to be CMSs and thus seem likely to do what you want also.

For static content, you might also want to look into a simple webserver and hand-coding your HTML with a template like Skeleton.

Last edited:

truecharts

Guru
Create a Windows share, point it at the plex dataset, drag in your content?
We want to point out that we do not advice combining shares with Apps mounted storage.
At least not for new users, it just ends up throwing up so many variables that about half of those attempts end up as support tickets on our Discord.

Which is fine, but it showcases how often those things go wrong.

danb35

Hall of Famer
it just ends up throwing up so many variables that about half of those attempts end up as support tickets on our Discord.
I'd suspect the actual ratio is much smaller, but you don't hear about the ones that work. But it's nonetheless a valid point. Permissions are going to be key (and are probably the trickiest thing for most users to handle anyway).

truecharts

Guru
I'd suspect the actual ratio is much smaller, but you don't hear about the ones that work. But it's nonetheless a valid point. Permissions are going to be key (and are probably the trickiest thing for most users to handle anyway).

Sadly enough, we have some ways to know for sure.
Because there has been a time where ACL's (and most share setups) completely broke all our Apps by default.

That being said:
ACL's as a whole, even when they should technically work, inherently break some containers and as SCALE actively promotes the use of ACL's with shares, one can extrapolate where that leads ;-)

DavidinGA

Explorer
1658330687912.png

This is what I did and I can see it logging in from my laptop - but the Plex server doesn't see them.
I tried to create a Library at photos - vehicles - suburban but Plex says this ...
1658331030765.png

I looked at Add, again, and it shows this ... so I'm not sure why "vehicles" shows as empty
1658330999459.png

truecharts

Guru
Please be aware that our support is completely centered around our Website, Github and Discord.
We, nor most of our support staff, do not offer support here.

Therefore it's advisable to file support tickets with our staff directly.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Is the folder in your library the same location as you set up as the mountPath? Because ordinarily, inside the container, you wouldn't use the /mnt/poolname convention.

DavidinGA

Explorer
I set the mount path as /mnt ... is that close enough? :smile:

I was just able to get a Library set up at /mnt/storagepool2/plex/photos/vehicles/suburban

I'm going to try to stuff some photos in there and see if it plays nicely.

DavidinGA

Explorer
Please be aware that our support is completely centered around our Website, Github and Discord.
We, nor most of our support staff, do not offer support here.

Therefore it's advisable to file support tickets with our staff directly.
I use discord and github but have no idea why anyone would choose them for support - they're a nuisance to find and follow threads. Discord users often ignore protocols to keep things linked - so posts jump all over the place. Discord isn't any better. Why not a TrueCharts Forum like this?

indivision

Guru
But, at the moment, it seems that SMB is the most user-friendly method provided. Yes?

(I looked at the other three and they appear to be far more complex than I have time for just now.)

NFS should be similar to set up as SMB. But, iSCSI is quite different. Sounds like you got this part figured out anyway.

This is what I did and I can see it logging in from my laptop - but the Plex server doesn't see them.
I tried to create a Library at photos - vehicles - suburban but Plex says this ...

This sounds like a permissions issue. For testing, you could try setting your media files to have wide open permissions temporarily.

The way I've managed this is to make a mediaUser group in TrueNAS. Note the GID number for that group. Enter it in your app settings in the "fsGroup" field. Then make sure that mediaUser group has the permissions you want applied to your media files/folders.

I set the mount path as /mnt ... is that close enough? :smile:

That is probably ok. But, that name is used commonly enough that I would go with something else.
Meanwhile, I noticed that Remote Access was red-flagged ... another adventure ...

To fix this, you need to set up a few port forwards in your router. Here is info on that: https://support.plex.tv/articles/200931138-troubleshooting-remote-access/

I don't think this is what you'd want to do, at least not exactly. The TrueCharts Plex app uses PVC for the Plex config/metadata, as they do (IIRC) for all their apps. And while it is possible to change that to Host Path or other options, I know they strongly discourage that--I think one of the reasons is that PVC allows you to roll back to an earlier version with its metadata/config.

You're right. I should have clarified that. I was assuming that their Plex app has a separate data path already in the settings. Some of their other apps do.

indivision

Guru
Do I need to provide an IP to "advertise"?

Or, for the handful of people to whom I may give access, is it best to give them the IP privately?

I will have a bunch of documents to make available, via a Web/Blog interface - I'm not sure what's best to handle that.

They're Bible devotionals and studies, mostly text, but some have images embedded.

Plex has a built in user access system. You need to resolve that Remote Access issue to use it. But, I would recommend using that to give others access to the files. You can invite them from within the app using email. So, no need to give out IP addresses.

IF you did want to give people direct access to the entire Plex app (which doesn't seem necessary) you would want to use something like Traefik.

In regard to sharing these documents on a web site or blog, I don't think Plex is a very good fit for that. In that case, you should probably just use something like Wordpress. Plex is more for direct media consumption (watching movies/tv, listening to music).

Maybe I could put the documents in a read-only folder associated with a blog - then allow comments and questions, but not editing?
I was looking at the Payload CMS - it seems rather flexible and favors local hosting. (I've used Wordpress in the past and disliked the interface.)

Payload is a headless CMS. So, you would need to build the front-end within which to show the media. Not really a comparable thing.

You could run Wordpress in a local environment also. But, for a smaller one, hosting options are so cheap and easy I'm not sure why you would take on managing a local environment for it.

Wordpress definitely is a bit clunky. But, the alternatives either require more technical work/skill (Drupal, Symfony, etc) or go far in the other direction with less flexibility (Wix, etc).

truecharts

Guru
I use discord and github but have no idea why anyone would choose them for support - they're a nuisance to find and follow threads. Discord users often ignore protocols to keep things linked - so posts jump all over the place. Discord isn't any better. Why not a TrueCharts Forum like this?

Fair question:
Our support is mostly resolved through direct chats, which often leads to very-short support times. We've picket it because it keeps the interaction as fast as possible, as we feel the user, in the end, often wants their issues solved sooner rather than later :)

cornboy72

Cadet

No prior posts show up in a Search for "plex Missing name from dictionary" ... so ... what did I do wrong, please?

I looked at some other "Plex install error" posts and didn't find this.
I tried to search the docs but didn't find anything helpful.
CONTEXT: I'm in Apps setting up Plex for the first time.
Thanks
Dude I got almost the same error

[EFAULT] Failed to install chart release: Error: INSTALLATION FAILED: execution error at (plex/templates/deployment.yaml:1:3): Invalid hostpath /mnt/media_box. Path must be a valid path under a given pool e.g `/mnt/tank/somepath` is valid whereas `/mnt` or `/mnt/tank` are invalid examples.
remove_circle_outlineMore info...
Error: Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 426, in run await self.future File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 461, in __run_body rv = await self.method(*([self] + args)) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1152, in nf res = await f(*args, **kwargs) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1284, in nf return await func(*args, **kwargs) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/chart_releases_linux/chart_release.py", line 479, in do_create await self.middleware.call( File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1306, in call return await self._call( File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1266, in _call return await self.run_in_executor(prepared_call.executor, methodobj, *prepared_call.args) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1169, in run_in_executor return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs)) File "/usr/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 52, in run result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/chart_releases_linux/helm.py", line 44, in helm_action raise CallError(f'Failed to {tn_action} chart release: {stderr.decode()}') middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] Failed to install chart release: Error: INSTALLATION FAILED: execution error at (plex/templates/deployment.yaml:1:3): Invalid hostpath /mnt/media_box. Path must be a valid path under a given pool e.g `/mnt/tank/somepath` is valid whereas `/mnt` or `/mnt/tank` are invalid examples.

I have no idea what to do next.

Daisuke

Contributor
Do I need to provide an IP to "advertise"?
You use an old TrueCharts app version, that option does not exists anymore.

See all options I have in place. Since this is a @truecharts app, the right place to ask questions is in their Discord channel. Their support is stellar. While there, install also plex-auto-languages.

Quick note, runAsUser ID should be the same as your SMB login user.

Screen Shot 2022-11-29 at 11.31.27 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-11-29 at 11.31.57 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-11-29 at 11.32.20 PM.png

I was assuming that their Plex app has a separate data path already in the settings. Some of their other apps do.
To my knowledge, none of TrueCharts apps have defined by default an additional Host Path, only PVC. You should never touch the default PVC setting.

Configure Additional app storage
You use an old app version, with several deprecated settings. The (simple) storage does not exist anymore, for example.

Edit: In case you are not using the TrueCharts app, install it without hesitation. You should install only TrueCharts apps, all their apps setup process is identical, rapid releases, plus they have a team dedicated for apps development and community support.

Last edited:

truecharts

Guru
This is all a bit of a July Necro tbh, why is someone necro'ing a months old thread?

Dude I got almost the same error

[EFAULT] Failed to install chart release: Error: INSTALLATION FAILED: execution error at (plex/templates/deployment.yaml:1:3): Invalid hostpath /mnt/media_box. Path must be a valid path under a given pool e.g `/mnt/tank/somepath` is valid whereas `/mnt` or `/mnt/tank` are invalid examples.
remove_circle_outlineMore info...
Error: Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 426, in run await self.future File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 461, in __run_body rv = await self.method(*([self] + args)) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1152, in nf res = await f(*args, **kwargs) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1284, in nf return await func(*args, **kwargs) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/chart_releases_linux/chart_release.py", line 479, in do_create await self.middleware.call( File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1306, in call return await self._call( File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1266, in _call return await self.run_in_executor(prepared_call.executor, methodobj, *prepared_call.args) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1169, in run_in_executor return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs)) File "/usr/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 52, in run result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/chart_releases_linux/helm.py", line 44, in helm_action raise CallError(f'Failed to {tn_action} chart release: {stderr.decode()}') middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] Failed to install chart release: Error: INSTALLATION FAILED: execution error at (plex/templates/deployment.yaml:1:3): Invalid hostpath /mnt/media_box. Path must be a valid path under a given pool e.g `/mnt/tank/somepath` is valid whereas `/mnt` or `/mnt/tank` are invalid examples.

I have no idea what to do next.

What's best is, indeed, to actually file issues with our support staff (as explained by @Daisuke ) on discord if you run into issues with our stuff.
We don't have many people available here.

You use an old TrueCharts app version, that option does not exists anymore.

It's automatically generated now :)
Based on the NodeIP, service settings, manually set LoadbalancerIP and/or Ingress

To my knowledge, none of TrueCharts apps have defined by default an additional Host Path, only PVC. You should never touch the default PVC setting.

You use an old app version, with several deprecated settings. The (simple) storage does not exist anymore, for example.

There are a few edgecases where a PVC is defined which can and/or should safely be set to hostPath manually.
Mostly in cases where the specific path is super tricky.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
This is all a bit of a July Necro tbh, why is someone necro'ing a months old thread?

Presumably because they need help and they tried to search for people with similar error messages and problems. We encourage people to use the search feature, and often it can find relevant information. Necroposting is more of an issue when posts a year or more old get pulled into a response thread. As time passes, the likelihood of relevance drops.

truecharts

Guru
Presumably because they need help and they tried to search for people with similar error messages and problems. We encourage people to use the search feature, and often it can find relevant information. Necroposting is more of an issue when posts a year or more old get pulled into a response thread. As time passes, the likelihood of relevance drops.

To be fair, in this case, the error is not, like the poster described "almost the same error"...
It's a totally different error.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
To be fair, in this case, the error is not, like the poster described "almost the same error"...
It's a totally different error.

Then perhaps you and other developers should get your act together and not crap out a wall of traceback, and instead determine a way to emit a clearly stated cause of error that the average user here could pluck out some meaning that could be searched for.

Failing to check preconditions required for your code is something that used to be taught back when computer science was younger, and the irony is that we had far fewer resources available in terms of CPU, memory, and storage. I generally look at unexpected or unanticipated errors generated by my code as an opportunity for improvement. Code is inherently imperfect, and is unlikely to catch every error every time, but I do not see it as reasonable to criticize end users for looking at a wall of impenetrable text and then trying to figure out how to pluck out something in there to help them resolve their issue. It's important to view this from the side of users who are trying to use your software; clear and obvious errors reduce the support workload on your side as well as reducing frustration on their side.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Okey, lets get this clear: We have ZERO, absolutely zero, control over the way iX-Systems decides to show these errors. It's their design choice, or mistake, to show these traceback in addition to the readable error at the total bottom.

And let's get this clear: I don't give a damn whose fault it is. You are creating this subsystem, and then you had the temerity to complain about a necropost when some end user suffering the effects of your code had an issue that you failed to prevent in code, and they failed to self-resolve. You have the ability to lobby for changes in the way iXsystems handles things, and you have a better basis for making such complaints because you're supporting something that iXsystems apparently wants.

Our support workload isn't really an issue here, IF the users actually submitted issues with our apps to us, instead of you/this-forum.

The only actuall issue is the fact users still don't actually come to us with errors with our Apps. Even though we have no control over the crappy way iX displays errors, we've staff members available to help out with issues like this, basically 24/7.

But rather than say "Hey @cornboy72 please head on over to https://foo.bar.whatever where our staff will be happy to help you out", you instead start the discussion with

One of the very first things we encourage users to do, so much so that it's in the Forum Rules, is to use search to see if they can locate a solution to their problem. If you are offering your apps within the TrueNAS ecosystem, which it seems you are, then it may come to pass that people end up here to try to resolve their problem, which appears to them to be related to TrueNAS. I don't think any of us here on the moderation team are going to object to you redirecting these people to your own support resources if that's appropriate, but I will mention that you probably need to be a little more specific than saying "on discord".