Plex Can't Access Media From Roku or nVidia Shield TV

rivey

Contributor
Just had to rebuild my Freenas Server from scratch and just got it up and running. Plex works great from a browser but not from my Roku or nVidia Shield.
Freenas is v13.0 stable with the latest authorized Plex plug-in. Plex is running on my main network of 192.168.200, 1/24
All of my IoT devices are on a subnet of 192.168.220.1/24.
I am assuming that the two different subnets are the issue but I can't figure the problem out.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Just had to rebuild my Freenas Server from scratch and just got it up and running. Plex works great from a browser but not from my Roku or nVidia Shield.
Freenas is v13.0 stable with the latest authorized Plex plug-in. Plex is running on my main network of 192.168.200, 1/24
I am assuming that the two different subnets are the issue but I can't figure the problem out.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Did you try turning on the NetBIOS Name Server under Network->Global Configuration?

rivey

Contributor
Did you try turning on the NetBIOS Name Server under Network->Global Configuration?
No joy. I just tried that and it did not help. I just had an idea thought. I wonder what would happen if I open the port for plex on the 192.168.200.1 subnet?

ClassicGOD

Contributor
You have to set up routing between those 2 subnets but that is a question of router configuration not TrueNas. Check if you can ping the Plex IP from the IoT subnet.

If it worked before make sure your Plex is set up to be "discoverable" from other subnet. To do this go to Plex server settings in web interface -> Network (click 'Show Advanced' if not enabled), in LAN Networks field put your 2 subnets (comma separated for example: 192.168.200.1/24,192.168.220.1/24 ) and in Custom server access URLs field put your local Plex address for example: http://192.168.200.100:32400/.
That should make sure that your clients (logged to the account with access to this Plex server) try to connect to the local address and Plex server recognizes them as local clients (otherwise they would be treated as remote clients and subject to bandwidth and quality limitations)

Volts

Patron

I agree with @ClassicGOD: I assume an IoT subnet is blocked from other local networks.

What device(s) are managing these isolated networks?
Configure a permit or allow exception rule for requests from the IoT subnet to the Plex server on TCP port 32400.
Also configure a permit or allow exception for DNS rebinding requests for the *.plex.direct domain.

NetBIOS isn't required, or used by Plex for this purpose. (Unless I'm insane. @anodos?)

The Plex LAN Networks setting is used by Plex's bandwidth controls, so you probably want to configure it as described. But it does not influence discovery.

It is never necessary, and can be harmful, to manually enter the Plex server's LAN address to Custom server access URLs. Plex always registers the LAN address.

ClassicGOD

Contributor
It is never necessary, and can be harmful, to manually enter the Plex server's LAN address to Custom server access URLs. Plex always registers the LAN address.
If ran in a container Plex often will register internal IP of the container not IP that it's available on outside of the container network. It's not an issue with jails but for some reason I thought the thread is about Scale ;)

Volts

Patron
If ran in a container Plex often will register internal IP of the container not IP that it's available on outside of the container network. It's not an issue with jails but for some reason I thought the thread is about Scale ;)

Ahh, agreed! That's a good example of when a Custom server access URLs entry is useful.

rivey

Contributor
This worked perfectly and I now have access to Plex on my Roku Ultra and it runs great. Now the only real problem I need to solve is getting my nVidia Shield TV box to recognize my Truenas Plex media. I keep going through the settings for that bet so far no luck. Any thoughts on that? Thanks for your help.
You have to set up routing between those 2 subnets but that is a question of router configuration not TrueNas. Check if you can ping the Plex IP from the IoT subnet.

If it worked before make sure your Plex is set up to be "discoverable" from other subnet. To do this go to Plex server settings in web interface -> Network (click 'Show Advanced' if not enabled), in LAN Networks field put your 2 subnets (comma separated for example: 192.168.200.1/24,192.168.220.1/24 ) and in Custom server access URLs field put your local Plex address for example: http://192.168.200.100:32400/.
That should make sure that your clients (logged to the account with access to this Plex server) try to connect to the local address and Plex server recognizes them as local clients (otherwise they would be treated as remote clients and subject to bandwidth and quality limitations)

rivey

Contributor
Worked on the rest of the problems this morning and all are now solved and working. Thank-you all for the great help.