Please Help Install...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamBamm

Patron
I found another SAS card , it is a Dell H310 8 - Port Poweredge Raid Controller. Would this work?
Dell claims: "The PERC H310 is a general purpose RAID solution based on LSI´s Falcon (2008) IO Controller from Dell™, which provides 533 MHz PPC core speed, along with 6Gb/s SAS and supported by the Integrated MegaRAID 8.0 FW Stack. It also supports RAID Levels 0/1/5/10/50."

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=342-3630

http://sishardware.com/unt/15116-de..._poweredge_raid_controller_6gbs_sas_sata.html

Last edited:

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I also don't think they make a 6Tb HDD
This is why you can usually get away with a little b when you're talking about hard drives or RAM, because nobody ever really means little b. However, when you start talking about things like network transfer speeds, big B and little b are both used frequently and the difference is vital to clear communication. Best thing is to try to get into the habit of always using the right size of B.

BamBamm

Patron
I found another SAS card , it is a Dell H310 8 - Port Poweredge Raid Controller. Would this work?
Dell claims: "The PERC H310 is a general purpose RAID solution based on LSI´s Falcon (2008) IO Controller from Dell™, which provides 533 MHz PPC core speed, along with 6Gb/s SAS and supported by the Integrated MegaRAID 8.0 FW Stack. It also supports RAID Levels 0/1/5/10/50."

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=342-3630

http://sishardware.com/unt/15116-de..._poweredge_raid_controller_6gbs_sas_sata.html

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Did you search the forum for "H310"? I bet if you do you'll find your answer. :P

BamBamm

Patron
o_O

danb35

Hall of Famer
@cyberjock, the "search for h310" doesn't get useful results with the default settings using the search box at the top of the page. Apparently "search this forum only" doesn't include subforums.

@BamBamm, if you enter "h310" in the search box and uncheck the box for "search this forum only", you should get some more useful results. From what I'm seeing there, it looks like the H310 should work, but I don't have any experience with that card to be able to advise further.

BamBamm

Patron
@danb35, thanks, but I am going back to Windows.
This forum isn't very helpful too n00bs, I don 't know a damn thing on what I am doing (as I stated in the OP),
and I am not about to destroy my hardware trying to get this to work. Also, it doesn't seem at all stable. There are
a lot of posts about FreeNAS crashing and taking peoples data with them. It maybe mostly user caused, but that is what worries me.
Not knowing what I am doing, I don't want to lose my info...

danb35

Hall of Famer
I disagree that this forum isn't helpful to newbies, but it does, by and large, expect newbies to do their own homework. If you're expecting to be spoon-fed an answer that's been discussed several times recently in the forums, or is in one of the sticky threads, or is thoroughly explained in the manual, you're probably going to be disappointed. You'll most likely get an answer with some variation on RTFM, possibly pointing you to the particular section of the manual, or sticky thread, that answers the question.

FreeNAS has some particular hardware requirements, which are well-documented in sticky threads here, as well as in the manual. If your hardware doesn't meet those requirements, you can expect to have a bad experience with FreeNAS. However, if you do use appropriate hardware, and configure your storage sensibly, your data will be much safer than on any Windows server.

FreeNAS isn't for everyone, and most of us have no problem with saying so--but I wouldn't want you to make that decision based on misinformation.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I disagree that this forum isn't helpful to newbies, but it does, by and large, expect newbies to do their own homework. If you're expecting to be spoon-fed an answer that's been discussed several times recently in the forums, or is in one of the sticky threads, or is thoroughly explained in the manual, you're probably going to be disappointed. You'll most likely get an answer with some variation on RTFM, possibly pointing you to the particular section of the manual, or sticky thread, that answers the question.

FreeNAS has some particular hardware requirements, which are well-documented in sticky threads here, as well as in the manual. If your hardware doesn't meet those requirements, you can expect to have a bad experience with FreeNAS. However, if you do use appropriate hardware, and configure your storage sensibly, your data will be much safer than on any Windows server.

FreeNAS isn't for everyone, and most of us have no problem with saying so--but I wouldn't want you to make that decision based on misinformation.
I agree with this and when someone comes with a question that shows they have read something and need more clarification I make sure to put in extra effort to help.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
@danb35, thanks, but I am going back to Windows.
This forum isn't very helpful too n00bs, I don 't know a damn thing on what I am doing (as I stated in the OP),
and I am not about to destroy my hardware trying to get this to work. Also, it doesn't seem at all stable. There are
a lot of posts about FreeNAS crashing and taking peoples data with them. It maybe mostly user caused, but that is what worries me.
Not knowing what I am doing, I don't want to lose my info...
I see this often in many different areas, not just on these forums but tech in general.

You have those that don't know anything about a subject but are willing to learn, and then you have those that don't know anything about it and don't want to take the time to learn (for whatever reason, time, effort, etc).

If you put the time and effort into learning it, freenas is amazing and will take care of you as long as you take care of it and provide proper hardware.

If you don't want to put in any time or effort, then just stick with what you know, or buy and off the shelf unit. IXSystems sells freenas units too.

BamBamm

Patron
You have those that don't know anything about a subject but are willing to learn, and then you have those that don't know anything about it and don't want to take the time to learn (for whatever reason, time, effort, etc). If you put the time and effort into learning it, freenas is amazing and will take care of you as long as you take care of it and provide proper hardware.

I can agree with this, to a point. However, It seems people here are too eager to jump to conclusions and judge others. By judging I mean being snobby and well, this whole post is a great example of how rude most are.
I need a simple file storage to store various data from around the house on. I work full time, sometimes more than 40 hours a week. I have classes on Tuesday and Thursday night from 6 to 9 PM. I have 6 kids at home under 16 years old that I have to take care of. For fun, my kids are wanting to try game development out using Unreal Engine. I am trying to support this via giving them the software and hardware they need. I have never used Unix or Linux before so I know jack shit about it. I am trying to help my wife with her business, I have my own studies I have to do and I am studying Unreal Engine trying to learn it as well.

So sorry for my pitty me story, but I have a lot on my plate, a lot to learn as it is, and I was hopeful this place would be more supportive than RTFM and do a effing search. BTFW, I had to google what RTFM even meant! I don't know what the hell ISCIS or what the f* it is, or any of the other BS acronyms are! I have tried read the effing manual and I couldn't make heads or tails of it. Yes I am over my damn head, but I am trying to do something for my kids, so take a walk off a short plank!

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I can agree with this, to a point. However, It seems people here are too eager to jump to conclusions and judge others. By judging I mean being snobby and well, this whole post is a great example of how rude most are.
I need a simple file storage to store various data from around the house on. I work full time, sometimes more than 40 hours a week. I have classes on Tuesday and Thursday night from 6 to 9 PM. I have 6 kids at home under 16 years old that I have to take care of. For fun, my kids are wanting to try game development out using Unreal Engine. I am trying to support this via giving them the software and hardware they need. I have never used Unix or Linux before so I know jack shit about it. I am trying to help my wife with her business, I have my own studies I have to do and I am studying Unreal Engine trying to learn it as well.

So sorry for my pitty me story, but I have a lot on my plate, a lot to learn as it is, and I was hopeful this place would be more supportive than RTFM and do a effing search. BTFW, I had to google what RTFM even meant! I don't know what the hell ISCIS or what the f* it is, or any of the other BS acronyms are! I have tried read the effing manual and I couldn't make heads or tails of it. Yes I am over my damn head, but I am trying to do something for my kids, so take a walk off a short plank!
I don't think the attitude is called for. I was not being mean, I was not being snobby and I was not trying to invoke any type of hateful emotion.

You seem to have a false view of this forum, and have come in here expecting people to cater to your needs. Everyone here is a volunteer, nobody is paid to provide support via the forums. We are totally fine with you not wanting to put the time in to learn, but please don't try to insult the value this forum actually provides.

BamBamm

Patron
You are right, the attitude I have received is uncalled for!
Cater to my needs? Did you even bother to read the OP? I asked to be pointed in the right direction, and I get remarks about my "verbiage" and answers that tell me to do a search.
If I knew what the hell I was searching for and what I needed, I would have done just that! I came asking for documentation so I can figure this out, but I get off-topic remarks.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
You are right, the attitude I have received is uncalled for!
Cater to my needs? Did you even bother to read the OP? I asked to be pointed in the right direction, and I get remarks about my "verbiage" and answers that tell me to do a search.
If I knew what the hell I was searching for and what I needed, I would have done just that! I came asking for documentation so I can figure this out, but I get off-topic remarks.
I see everyone here trying to help you. Where exactly do you get off yelling at everyone for making attempts to assist you? I am sorry, but it is YOUR attitude that is completely uncalled for.

You don't want to take the time to learn FreeNAS. Cool. Go use an OS you don't have to spend any time learning. We simply do not need your hatred in these forums. We aren't mad at you for not wanting to learn, but we certainly are not going to put up with your insults.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Dell cards based on LSI SAS 2008/2308 controllers (I can't bring myself to call them Avago SAS controllers...) can be a pain to crossflash, but work well once that has been accomplished.

BamBamm

Patron
@Ericloewe; is there a card I don't have to flash?

BamBamm

Patron
Ok, so I got a few minuets and I tore open my case and went to the SuperMicro website.
I don't need the dang RAID card, my board has on-board SAS 6.0!

Could someone please tell me what the process is called and what do I have to do, to make the on-board controller work, or run it in IT mode, or whatever it is...

On-Board Devices
line_yellow.gif

Chipset
  • Intel® 5520 (Tylersburg) chipset
  • ICH10R + 2x IOH-36D
SAS
    • LSI 6Gb/s SAS 2008
    • RAID 0, 1, 10 support
    • (Optional: AOC-SAS2-RAID5-KEY) RAID 5 support
SATA
  • Intel ICH10R SATA 3.0Gbps Controller
  • RAID 0, 1, 5, 10 support (Windows)
  • RAID 0, 1, 10 support (Linux)
IPMI
  • Support for Intelligent Platform Management Interface v.2.0
  • IPMI 2.0 with virtual media over LAN and KVM-over-LAN support
  • Winbond® WPCM450 BMC
Network Controllers
  • Intel® 82576 Dual-Port Gigabit Ethernet Controller
  • Supports 10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, and 1000BASE-T, RJ45 output
  • Intel® I/OAT 3 support for fast, scaleable, and reliable networking
  • VMDq support for better performance of virtualization
  • 1x Realtek RTL8201N PHY (dedicated IPMI)
Graphics
  • Matrox G200eW
Super I/O
  • Winbond 83827HF chip

Input / Output
line_yellow.gif

SAS
  • 8 SASII / SATA ports
Serial ATA
  • Six Serial ATA ports
  • Six SATA hard drives supported
LAN
  • 2x RJ45 LAN ports
  • 1x RJ45 Dedicated IPMI LAN port
USB
  • 2x USB rear ports
  • 2x USB on-board
  • 4x USB internal headers
  • Total 8 USB 2.0 Compliant
VGA
  • 1x VGA Port
Keyboard / Mouse
  • PS/2 keyboard and mouse ports
Serial Port
  • 1 Fast UART 16550 serial port

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
You need to get the IT firmware from supermicro and follow their instructions to flash it. Since you have ipmi, you have made the entire server setup process much easier. You don't need a mouse, keyboard, or monitor hooked up to the server to run it. Ever.

You can use this method if you want to throw Windows on there if that would make you more comfortable for initial flash, or you can just get the firmware and do it from freenas using the sasflash tool.

http://www.servethehome.com/howto-flash-supermicro-x8si6f-lsi-sas-2008-controller-lsi-firmware/

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
@Ericloewe; is there a card I don't have to flash?
You will always be expected to update the firmware, when needed, to match the driver. You can, however, avoid the crossflashing part by acquiring an LSI SAS 9211 or 9207.

BamBamm

Patron
@pirateghost Thank you. I have Windows 7 installed on a SSD drive. It is the only thing installed, I don't even have gpu drivers. Just a clean install. I will attach it to this server and do a firmware update. Is this the IT firmware I need? My MoBo is X8DTH-6F... (X8DTH-6F / X8DTH-iF -- IPMI_8DTH R 3.04 X8DTH_304.zip IPMI Firmware)

@Ericloewe Thank you, I will purchase one (an LSI SAS 9211 or 9207) down the road, if it is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.