Please Help: Error: Unable to GPT format the disk "ada0"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finn

Cadet
I've got 2x 2000g WD Red and I want to mirror and create a single ZFS volume ut when I try I keep getting the message that
Error: Unable to GPT format the disk "ada0"
I've also tried to crete UFS ut I get a different error message:
Error: Volume creation failed: "geom: Can't store metadata on /dev/ada0: Operation not permitted., "
Ive tried wiping them.

Please Help as it is greatly appreciated :)

warri

Guru
Hardware? FreeNAS version?

It sounds like something is using the disks at the moment, so they can't be wiped. Did you at some point manage to successfully create a ZFS pool or UFS volume on them - or were they used in another operation system before? Can you attach the output of dmesg (as file)?

You could boot a live CD of GParted, Ubuntu or Partition Magic to wipe the disks clean of any partitions and partition tables, and then try again.

Could have other reasons as well, there are a couple of related threads:
- Error: Unable to GPT format the disk "ada0" (graid was blocking the disks)
- Cannot create volume on new harddrive (incompatible controller)
- More problem with hardisk (no reaction from OP, but suggestion to use third party tool to wipe disks)
- and some more, use the forum search

Finn

Cadet
Yes I have had UFS before but I've completely reinstalled freenas today.

Build FreeNAS-9.2.1.4-RELEASE-x86 (a688538)
Platform AMD Turion(tm) II Neo N40L Dual-Core Processor
Memory 1899MB

warri

Guru
In this case, I'd try to wipe the disks with some third party tool of your choice.
Chances are that its going to work afterwards ;)

If this doesn't work, we need the dmesg output and maybe a some other information as well.

EDIT: This is due to the fact that reinstalling FreeNAS doesn't touch your data disks, so they are probably still intact and are somehow being blocked.

gpsguy

Finn, you need to upgrade your RAM to support ZFS on FreeNAS. At minimum you'll need 8Gb ECC RAM. Since you only have 2 slots, I'd suggest maxing it out with 16Gb.

Sent from my phone

Finn

Cadet
How and what program do I use to wipe the disks?

And gpsguy what ram do I use like is there a particular type you recommend got a HP Pro Laint MicroServer

leenux_tux

Patron
Finn,

There are a number of ways you can wipe the disks. The option I generally go for is something like "gparted" (http://gparted.org/livecd.php). You can download the ISO image and create a bootable CDROM or Thumbdrive. Once booted into the "gparted" environment you can manage your disks from within the program.

It's a graphical environment which is a bonus for those who are not confident working from the command line.

I would also recommend disconnecting the USB stick where FreeNAS is installed. At least then you know you are only working with the drives you want to wipe.

gpsguy

Here's what I'm running in my N54L.

Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
ECC Unbuffered Server Memory Model KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G

Status
Not open for further replies.