pfSense VM on FreeNAS (not working)

amessmann

Cadet
Hello FreeNAS community, I got a server from a friend with many 10GbE NICs installed. I would like to connect my roommates to it using Fiber so we can have 10GbE access to things like game libraries and movies at 10Gb speeds.

I figured it would be more plug and play to connect the NAS and clients to a 10Gb network switch. As opposed to doing something like Linus and his cheap 10Gb stuff.

Currently I have the FreeNAS system running a pfSense VM with the 10Gb NICs in a bridge. There is connectivity between the interfaces, and they can access the internet.

My issue is that the pfSense VM is the router, when FreeNAS starts, it doesn't get an IP address.

At this point I should mention I don't have a good idea of how this stuff works, maybe there is a much more simple way to do this.
What I'm saying may make no sense to anyone experienced, I'll include some diagrams as those would probably help.

Theoretically the issue would persist if I had a separate router and for example, a VyOS VM to bridge the interfaces.

If you are wondering why not a retail 10Gb switch, or building a 10Gb switch, it's because of cost mainly. I'd like to use the equipment I have, not to mention I can't find any SFP+ switches with more than two SFP+ interfaces.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 4.03.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 4.03.04 PM.png
    46.2 KB · Views: 656

danb35

Hall of Famer

amessmann

Cadet
That would definitely work, even better, they have an 8 port version, but those are $125 and $235 respectively. That is pretty far outside the budget for me. Thank you though!

I should also mention my system has multiple SFP+ ports and multiple Gbit RJ45 ports, which I'd like multiple of each.

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
That would definitely work, even better, they have an 8 port version, but those are $125 and $235 respectively. That is pretty far outside the budget for me. Thank you though!

I should also mention my system has multiple SFP+ ports and multiple Gbit RJ45 ports, which I'd like multiple of each.
You might want to search the forum because there have been many, many discussions on this subject over the last couple years. For example:

https://www.ixsystems.com/community...710x-tn4010-chipset-for-85.69114/#post-474942

At least one of those discussions may give you useful information.

Turgin

Dabbler
I would be interested in the rest of your configuration, disks etc since it is quite possible you won't actually see any (or much) difference in performance between 1g and 10g when accessing FreeNAS shares.

Or, if your server has the right hardware, install a type 1 hypervisor like ESXi and move your pfSense and FreeNAS to discreet VMs. You might even be able to add a VyOS VM to do the bridging.