Permissions problem when copying data from old fileserver to new FreeNAS system

jcm7

Cadet
Hi-
New to the forums- I have a new FreeNAS server that we would like to use as a main fileserver, replacing 3 Linux fileservers. I have 4 iXSystems FreeNAS minis that work fine. This main fileserver appears to be set up identically, but regardless of the mechanism I use to copy (rsync, cp, tar) I keep getting permission problems, especially with our version control files (git and mercurial, w/.git and .hg dirs respectively) This is how the system is set up:
FreeNAS version:

OS Version:

FreeNAS-11.2-U5

(Build Date: Jun 24, 2019 18:41)
Processor:

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2660 0 @ 2.20GHz (32 cores)
Memory:

128 GiB

Sharing is configured thusly:

All Dirs

Authorized hosts and networks left blank for all

Maproot user is set to root
Maproot Group is set to wheel

Pool is set to:

Sync = standard

compression level = lz4 (recommended)

Share Type= Unix

No quotas are set

Dedup is off
Read Only is off
Excec is On

Auth is set to sys

users/groups is served via NIS, and users and groups show up properly

# Mounting from host is:
mount -t nfs -o rw,hard,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr,tcp server:/mnt/mount-point /tmp/mount-point

However, when copying or rsync directories from the source fileserver to the new FreeNAS fileserver, I get:

cp: preserving permissions for ‘./modules/cadence’: Operation not permitted
cp: preserving permissions for ‘./modules/include’: Operation not permitted

rsync: mkstemp "/tmp/nas-001-vol-01/config/config/modules/mentor/calibre/.common.0.7q6ei3" failed: Operation not permitted (1)
rsync: mkstemp "/tmp/nas-001-vol-01/config/config/modules/mentor/calibre/.version.VqiXiy" failed: Operation not permitted (1)

I have the same issues for tar with the same error. I just need to make sure I doing something equivalent to "no_root_squash".

This all works properly if I go from a Linux fileserver to Linux fileserver, or to a Netapp.

What am I missing? Do I need to define a root host? I'm combining 3 older Linux fileserver onto a FreeNAS server. Or was trying to anyway.

We were planning on moving everything this weekend, but if I don't get this solved that won't happen, and I'll have to use an old Netapp instead.

jcm7

Cadet
passthrough seems to be set for each volume, and matches the Minis as well. I must be missing something in some setting, because I never had an issue w/the Mini backup units. And the system being backed up to them is Linux as well. Thanks for the pointer.

jcm7

Cadet
I might have been too hasty in my last reply- all the inherited aclmode's were set to passthrough, but the top level volume itself was set to restricted. I changed it from the command line, and things appear to be working for my test directory now. Hopefully once set that will survive a reboot. I don't see a place for it in the WebGUI though. I'll do more testing, but if things work as this last test, I owe you a thousand thanks!!

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I might have been too hasty in my last reply- all the inherited aclmode's were set to passthrough, but the top level volume itself was set to restricted. I changed it from the command line, and things appear to be working for my test directory now. Hopefully once set that will survive a reboot. I don't see a place for it in the WebGUI though. I'll do more testing, but if things work as this last test, I owe you a thousand thanks!!
I added a place for it in the legacy UI and middleware in 11.3 (which is still in nightly development builds). I believe the new UI team has added it as well.

jcm7

Cadet
I added a place for it in the legacy UI and middleware in 11.3 (which is still in nightly development builds). I believe the new UI team has added it as well.

So all rsyncs are running fine. I tested cp and tar as well, same success. So a thousand and one thanks! Will that setting be preserved through a reboot? And it looks like I might have missed a setting in the UI when I did this one initially. Although the Minis just "worked".

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
So all rsyncs are running fine. I tested cp and tar as well, same success. So a thousand and one thanks! Will that setting be preserved through a reboot? And it looks like I might have missed a setting in the UI when I did this one initially. Although the Minis just "worked".
It is preserved.