Permissions for symlink to /dev

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcHelix

Cadet
I understand this is probably going to be a weird question, but this is the situation...

I have a 1Tb encrypted drive attached via usb 3.0 to my SM x10. What I would like to do is map /dev/da1 to a empty file in /mnt/store/NAS/map_point so that I can mount the drive in Truecrypt from the CIFS share. I can't mount anything because the entire drive is encrypted, i.e /dev/da1 or an .img file created with dd for example are the only ways one could mount it.
Code:
ln -s /dev/da1 /mnt/store/NAS/map_point
works fine, but I cannot read the file from my windows box because of persmission issues. Even if I set
Code:
chown -h my_username:wheel
on both /dev/da1 and the symlink, I still have the same problem.

I'm probably an idiot for doing this, but I have my reasons. Can this be done at all?

Last edited:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Dumb question. Can you not chmod 777 all the affected files and just be done with it?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
chmod 777 also does nothing to allow access to the file.
Yes it does? How else would you modify permissions. What are the permissions listed on the comes and directories right now?

bcHelix

Cadet
Yes it does? How else would you modify permissions. What are the permissions listed on the comes and directories right now?
Yeah I know it does in general, I meant that it doesn't solve my specific problem.

The permissions are:
Code:
crwxrwxrwx 1 desktop_pc wheel 0xca Jul 18 13:30 /dev/da1

desktop_pc is the user account for the PC from which I am trying to decrypt the drive.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Honestly, I'm betting that this is something that isn't possible to do in FreeNAS. You'd be much, much, better off to create the drive as a single disk zpool and put the Truecrypt container on that zpool than trying to do what you are doing. If I'm not mistaken FreeNAS isn't overly friendly when symlinks cross file system boundaries (which your desired configuration will definitely do).

Even if there was some way to make it workI think this is a bad idea to try and do on FreeNAS as it may go badly for you suddenly and without warning because the FreeNAS devs are definitely not expecting you to do what you are trying to do and may code something now or in the future that may be very destructive to your configuration. The general rule we go by (If you can't do it from the WebGUI you shouldn't be trying to do it) definitely applies here and I think should be sufficient evidence to not try to do what you are doing.

If you are desiring this level of configurability you should use full blown FreeBSD. FreeNAS is designed as an appliance. It doesn't do every possible thing you might ever want to do, but it does a small subset that most people will want to do. Anything more than that is basically untested, not recommended, and some future code change may prove destructive for a custom configuration.

bcHelix

Cadet
Honestly, I'm betting that this is something that isn't possible to do in FreeNAS. You'd be much, much, better off to create the drive as a single disk zpool and put the Truecrypt container on that zpool than trying to do what you are doing. If I'm not mistaken FreeNAS isn't overly friendly when symlinks cross file system boundaries (which your desired configuration will definitely do).

Even if there was some way to make it workI think this is a bad idea to try and do on FreeNAS as it may go badly for you suddenly and without warning because the FreeNAS devs are definitely not expecting you to do what you are trying to do and may code something now or in the future that may be very destructive to your configuration. The general rule we go by (If you can't do it from the WebGUI you shouldn't be trying to do it) definitely applies here and I think should be sufficient evidence to not try to do what you are doing.

If you are desiring this level of configurability you should use full blown FreeBSD. FreeNAS is designed as an appliance. It doesn't do every possible thing you might ever want to do, but it does a small subset that most people will want to do. Anything more than that is basically untested, not recommended, and some future code change may prove destructive for a custom configuration.

Yeah I kind of thought this wasn't possible... Thanks CJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.