permissions denied ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

binkino

Dabbler
I am really a bit p... off now

Can anyone tell what has been changed between 0.6 to 0.7 & 8 ???

I use 0.69RC1 sinde 2008 and had no problems.
Now, the old Laptop gets 'old' and USB1.1 and so, so I wanted to "upgrate" ... yeah.

Insane to beleive it is so easy. Take a LG X1100 Netbook, cheap and doesn't need much power (less tzhen the old Pentium3...) but ... the 0.69 has no network driver.
okay - I downloaded that new version 8 and burned to CD, install it to a SD Card and boot the LG up.
While booting, I get a coffee...

I did all the neccessary settings like on my old, but:
- I can NOT get in the FTP by any programm, all datas are right, but that crap laughts.
- in my Network I can see the tha freenas, but i can not open it / access there.

So get some old V7 ... can see the "drives" in the network, but let's me not access.
I can get into by FTP, but I am not allowed to do anything.

- in the QuiXplorer - in some V7 I can not click the Perm's and in other I can open the link, but doesn't keep the changes
So I have no way to get into by FTP or by LAN ...

try the same on my K7 - the same things happening here, starting with the old 0.69RC1 it works there 100%

so somethings must have been changed that makes no sense!

6 hours of crap handling ... lost time ... poor software ...

But don't tell me now, I am the only one who has this problems

And what is it about with the old Versions of freenas, why are they nowhere in the web ???

louisk

Patron
I'm a little confused here. Are you saying that you are trying to upgrade an existing system from 6.x to 8.x? Or are you saying that you build an 8.x system from scratch and are trying to duplicated the configuration of your old 6.x machine on a new 8.x machine?

binkino

Dabbler
I'm a little confused here. Are you saying that you are trying to upgrade an existing system from 6.x to 8.x? Or are you saying that you build an 8.x system from scratch and are trying to duplicated the configuration of your old 6.x machine on a new 8.x machine?

Hi

no upgrate of the software, I did a new install

After Install, I mount the hdd and so on, set the user rights - everything like I did it in the 6.x
and in the webgui it looks all right.
But I can not get in to the datas by ftp or via network

I set me, the "Admin" with password, also a fictive user, for ftp - but can not log in with the ftp programm. (WSFTP and FILEZILLA)
In the network I can see the Nas, but when try to open it, say that I have not the right and have to contact the administrator of the network.
This is from a WinXP, a WinME, ma Android phone.

I also set up a 6.x on my AMD PC, do all these settings like in the laptop, and this worked like on the laptop - but the 7 and 8 did not there work, too
in the 7 i importet the settings from the 6, but no way.

bad magic :P

(I did not import the config file (I read that this will not work))

louisk

Patron
ok, so you did a new install, copied your data from the old nas, configured your services but they're not working?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to make sure I understand where you and what you've done.

binkino

Dabbler
ok, so you did a new install, copied your data from the old nas, configured your services but they're not working?

Yes, right. But i did not copy all datas to the new hdd, only some content (mp3, html and picture files) for testing.

Oh - I have format the partition with FAT32. Once under winxp, and other time by the nas formatet (possible can have problems with wrong formating, so what the nas formats should work)

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to make sure I understand where you and what you've done.
Thats absolut okay :) as english is not my motherlanguage I am sure I write some not clear texts

Thank you,
Andy

binkino

Dabbler
I just have an idea :D

Will it be possible to give the RC1 the drivers from a newer version, that knows the network card?
Also some newer drivers, like for ata and sata etc.

In the .iso of the live cd i can not change things. I can unpack the embedded.gz - that may be a .img file, but don't know how to open it.

If I install a newer version to a SD card (or USB stick) then open it at another computer, copy the driver files to the computer.
Then install the RC1 to the SD card and put these driver files on the card ...
Then insert the SD card to the netbook and ... do freenas :)

will this work, what files do I have to change?

Thanks ;)

(I found a RC2 of the .69 gut doesn't boot, "Read Error: 0x32" - google says, a lot of users had this problem)

louisk

Patron
Yes, right. But i did not copy all datas to the new hdd, only some content (mp3, html and picture files) for testing.

Oh - I have format the partition with FAT32. Once under winxp, and other time by the nas formatet (possible can have problems with wrong formating, so what the nas formats should work)

Thats absolut okay :) as english is not my motherlanguage I am sure I write some not clear texts

No worries.

You formatted the disk for you nas, in windows? Typically, you would format it either UFS or ZFS, and then use Samba to share the volume from the NAS to windows.

louisk

Patron
I just have an idea :D

Will it be possible to give the RC1 the drivers from a newer version, that knows the network card?
Also some newer drivers, like for ata and sata etc.

In the .iso of the live cd i can not change things. I can unpack the embedded.gz - that may be a .img file, but don't know how to open it.

If I install a newer version to a SD card (or USB stick) then open it at another computer, copy the driver files to the computer.
Then install the RC1 to the SD card and put these driver files on the card ...
Then insert the SD card to the netbook and ... do freenas :)

will this work, what files do I have to change?

Thanks ;)

(I found a RC2 of the .69 gut doesn't boot, "Read Error: 0x32" - google says, a lot of users had this problem)

You want to start doing custom work for FreeNAS 0.69? I'd suggest that you focus your efforts on getting 8.x working instead. Nobody is maintaining .6x or .7x any more, where as 8.x is being maintained and actively worked on.

Does some particular piece of hardware not work on 8.x?

binkino

Dabbler
No worries.

You formatted the disk for you nas, in windows? Typically, you would format it either UFS or ZFS, and then use Samba to share the volume from the NAS to windows.

and I formatet it with the option in freenas in FAT.
The same partitions 'work' with the RC1 ...

binkino

Dabbler
You want to start doing custom work for FreeNAS 0.69? I'd suggest that you focus your efforts on getting 8.x working instead. Nobody is maintaining .6x or .7x any more, where as 8.x is being maintained and actively worked on.

Does some particular piece of hardware not work on 8.x?

I am not sure, I think the hardware it is supportet. I will make a 8.0 again tonight and report
I can format a partition with UFS or ZFS - but I never worked active with them. I remember, I had some probs with not-Fat32 partitions in RC1 with the access rights and also I sometimes need to attach the drives on a windows PC to be able to copy files faster on it or copy files from it faster then over the network
I will make a 8.0 setup and report :)

binkino

Dabbler
No I come into the "rubber-cell" :P

Install 8.0.2 to SD Card.
Starting on the Netbook (LG X110)
Booting ...

Error!

Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ufs/FreeNASs1a
mount: /dev/ufs/FreeNASs3 : No such file or directory
mount -o ro /dev/ufs/FreeNASs3 /conf/default/etc failed: dropping into /bin/sh
# _

Booting from the CD at Netbook-USB.
While booting, get read errors and so on, only error messages, can't find "this and that" (to much to write)

okay ...

booting from the CD on my AMD , install to the SD card (i tried another card, too)
all okay. GOOD! ...
SD card back in the Netbook, booting, get error messages again.

same as above.

I have no idea about linux, so I don't know what to type right side of the "#" symbol.

Now I try older versions, any CD I start bringing me the error message ...

Installing system image on device da0.
gzip: stoud: Broken pipe
Error: Failed to dd image on 'dev/da0'!
Unmount CDROM
There was a problem while copying files

I hate it now. really!

ALSO the 0.69RC1 now ...

Don't know what this now is! Possible I shot my SD cards ... these many installations are for sure not the best for the cards

hate it

binkino

Dabbler
Now, a other card, it get a succesful install to it with the .69RC1
Then i did update to 7.2.8191 and the freenas boots not longer.

quit for today.

will try something tomorrow or so again ...

EDIT:
Wonderland ... i get the 8.0.2 installed to the card
Boots but gives me errors back:
2011-11-14 02.58.55.jpg
and the same with an other card and on the "big PC" and on the Netbook.
(didn't know I have 4 Partitions :confused: )

(btw. the "big PC" is an AthlonXP+3200 / MSI K7N2 / Ti4800 gfx / 2Gig Mem / 3 HDDs / 1 DVDRW)
or better going back and fire up an Amiga ...

2nd EDIT:
Try the 0.7.4919 - error like above witten on installing to Card.

Then changed the CD and insert the 0.7.5127, without rebooting the computer.
Installing succesful on the Card. Booting on the AMD worked.
Insert the Card into the Netbok.
Starts booting, needs a [ENTER] to continue booting (promt "boot: _")

Setting up network card and IP adress now.

Can log in by browser form another computer
(Version: 0.7.1 Shere (revision 5127) // FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE-p7 (revision 199506) )

setting up a share (i leave the settings/options in freenas now so long in english so i can better post what i am doing ) I write down now what I do, so you can tell me where and with what I run against the wall

1. DISKS: Management
- ADD [+] sign
- selecting the inbuild hdd.
Description "HDD1"
leave all settings by default,
Preformatted file system = "FAT32"
ADD / Apply Changes = "Status ONLINE"

2. DISKS: Mount Point
- ADD [+] sign
- Type = Disk
- Disk = the disk I set in the Management
- Partition type = MBR
- Partition number = 5 (because it is the first partition in the logical partition. In the primary, there is the old OS, I don't want to delete till it works) ... 5 works and I read that this is correct
- File system = FAT (as we have a FAT32 partition)
- Mount point name = WEB0 (just for give a name)
- Description = "the first disk"
- Read only = not checked, becuase I really want to use it :)
- File system check = I leave not checked, may be later.

okay ... in "Access Restrictions" I set the same as I have in my Laptop .69RC1:
- Owner = root
- Group = wheel (never found what this is, but in RC1 it is okay and works)
- Mode = all 9 [] are checked

ADD / Apply Changes = "Status OK"

Now in "Services / CIFS/SMB"
I want to see and access the partition in my Network.
All Network settings should be correct.
Ma router is 192.168.1.1 , the freenas is 192.168.1.51 , subnet is ok 255.255.255.0 so it must work, as I can open the freenas webgui.

- Enable
- Port 21
- NetBIOS name = "freenas2"
- workgroup = "AG"
- Description = "FreeNAS Server"
- Dos charset = "850"
- Unix charset = "8859-1" (because I must be able to open it from Amiga side, they don't know what is UTF-8 haha - it works in the RC1)
- Log Level = "minimum"
- Local Master Browser = "no"
- Time server = "no" (does my router)
Advanced settings
- Guest account = "ftp" (never changed)
- Create mask =
- Directory mask =
- Large read/write =
- Use sendfile = (set)
- EA support =
- Store DOS attributes = (set)
- Null passwords =
- Auxiliary parameters = (empty)

SAVE & RESTART

FTP / SHARES
- Name = WEB01
- Comment = WEB01
- Path = /mnt/WEB0/
- Read only = no
- Browseable = yes
- Inherit permissions = (not sure!)
- Recycle bin = no
- Hide dot files = no
- Hosts allow =
- Hosts deny =
- Auxiliary parameters = (empty)

ADD... Apply Changes ...

... opening my Network ... but needs looong time ...

I continue this evening / night ... network hangs ... and I need sleep
(should be in bed since 3hrs)

binkino

Dabbler
(I see now the freenas2 , see the folder "WEB01" and can open it, but I can not copy a file in it.

access denied, make sure that the device is not full or write-protectet or the file is not in use" (or so, it is in german here ;-) )

binkino

Dabbler
okay - I now formatet the build in hdd.
Setup 8.0.2 - then it worked. But have some serious problems with the usb ...
and the configuration is a labyrinth, begins with changing the IP ...

so - after the hdd was complete formatet, I try install the last Version 7 I have here, the 0.7.2.8191 and this working now.
BUT ... I have let it format in UFS. I can see and access files via network.
FTP - I don't know whats wrong, it will not work. I set a user "admin" like on my 0.69RC1 with the same datas.
When I try go into ftp by WSFTP or FILEZILLA, it tells me, that the password is not correct.

----------

okay the problem comes back, I now have plug a USB HDD to it, mount it.
It is FAT32 formatet and again I get no access to it over the network.
Its only a stupid FAT32 hdd, nothing of this NTFS crap ... thatmakes problems, but a FAT formatet hdd ... come on ...
What is this ???

I solved the FTP Problem ... I think ...
http://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/freenas/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=4952&p=23471#p23471
setting a ftp user to the group "ftp" then it seems to work.

Keeping the FAT32 problem, there I found nothing yet ;( ;( ;(

louisk

Patron
I would start with http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Main_Page
It will walk you through all kinds of configuration options, you can pick the ones you want and ignore the rest.

I would suggest that you use either UFS or ZFS formatting of the disk. I expect that FAT32 will cause problems, but I have never tested it myself (never had a reason to, as both UFS and ZFS work perfectly).

binkino

Dabbler
Thank you for the link :)

I will have to use FAT32 on external HDDs on USB to share files with other computers

possible someone cayn help me with this?
sure a really simple thing, like the ftp-problem, that is solved *god thanks*

louisk

Patron
Why do you need a FAT32 formatted drive to share files with other computers? Can you not copy the files via SMB on to a UFS or ZFS volume on the NAS? I have several windows (CIFS/SMB) shares configured on my FreeNAS using ZFS on an internal disk and they work fine with both windows and mac.

binkino

Dabbler
FAT32 is the only filesystem that all kind of computers can the same time

The question is, why do we have this problems in this version of freenas and how can we solve it?

and like now, I have to copy all content from the 'old' NAS to the 'new' NAS

I can not take the HDDs and plug to the new NAS, to copy the content.

I have to use the computer between the NAS'es and copy from one to the other over the network.
As the 'old' NAS has USB1.1 - a time eating thing, running now the 2nd day ...

Some on was thinking "let't throw FAT over board, who needs it ... why should we care about aome individuals ... standards? no why?"
like the new kind of WEB ... standards are yesterday. better find new crazy things so all have to update and update ...

louisk

Patron
Well, I'm sure other people would solve it in different ways, but what I would do is this:
attach all USB FAT32 drives to a Windows or Mac. Mount the NAS volume on said Windows or Mac. Copy the files over the network. This way you can bypass slow USB1.1 and you don't end up with problems trying to connect FAT32 drives to your FreeNAS.

To be fair, FAT32 really hasn't been used since Windows XP (circa 2000), or, almost 12yrs now, for any media other than possibly USB thumbdrives. Everything else (on the windows side) uses NTFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.