Permissions & Dataset Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nindustries

Patron
Hello, i'm fairly new to FreeNAS. (uh ooh..) ;)
I will have following use cases:

Folders/Datasets
  • Public folder that is readable by everyone (=guest access) and writable by HomeUsers group.
  • HomeUsers have their own protected user folder, and will also backup there. (hidden backups?)
  • Media folder that will contain movies, music and pictures. Probably compressed.
  • System folder that is accessible only by the admin and jail.
User groups
  • Guests that can only read the Public folder and nothing else.
  • HomeUsers that have their own secured folder, can write to the Public folder and Media folder.
  • TrustedGuests that can read from the Public and Media folder, but not modifiy.
  • HTPC group that can only read/modify the Media folder.
Now my question is.. would this be the ideal setup? And how would I configure the permissions?
I'm fairly new here so i'm just starting to work with datasets. (I suppose datasets are there for playing with the permissions?)
At the moment, I've got my main Volume that contains following datasets: Public, Media, Users, System. But i'm not quite sure what I should pick as permissions.. and what's with the 'nobody' and 'nogroup' settings?

Thank you in advance!
Nindustries :eek:

panz

Guru
I simply set basic Windows ACL to the datasets using FreeNAS' GUI, then I do all the fine-tuning from a Win machine. One useful trick, when creating users in FreeNAS, is to mkdir their home directories into a specific dataset (mine is "users"). It'll be something like:
/mnt/tank/users/panz
/mnt/tank/users/annie

so you can save stuff like SSH public keys, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.